Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
miker519
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

mini heater and heated rear window

Post by miker519 »

Hello all
A late introduction my name is Mike Roden and I have only just got my moggy (3 weeks) a 1965 2 door saloon Reg No DAU 107 C it has been rebuilt in the past but I do not have any information regarding this it does have the following mods, Marina front discs, alternator, telly rear shocks. following the recent bad weather I am looking at fitting a mini heater and a heated rear screen.
The questions that I have are how can I tell if I all ready have a mini heater and are some heated rear screens rated better than others. Are they difficult are they to fit? My mechanical skills are fair to middling as I have worked most of my life in engineering.
Also if any body has any information regarding this car I would be interested to find out its history.
I am finding the message board a mine of information but tend to get a little lost in it at the moment. Will be hoping to meet some fellow minor owners at local meets or drive outs if there are any coming up. I am in Handsacre Near Rugeley Staffordshire WS15 4EF and would be interested to know any local enthusiasts in my area.
Thanking you all in anticipation.
Best regards MikeR
svenedin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: mini heater and heated rear window

Post by svenedin »

Hello and welcome!

As far as I know, the early Mini heater is almost exactly the same as the late Minor heater.

The late Smith's Minor heater (not the early round one) is very effective when it is good working order. Usually the trouble is that the heater matrix (which is like a small radiator) is clogged up with sludge. You can easily check whether there is proper water circulation to the heater. With a hot engine turn on the heater by pushing in the heater control under the dashboard. Check that the heater control cable is properly opening the heater tap on the cylinder head. Then check that the heater hoses that pass through the bulkhead towards the cabin are hot. If they are not hot then that is the problem. You can flush out the matrix with the heater in situ. Disconnect the heater pipes in the engine bay and flush through very thoroughly with a garden hose. You may as well flush the entire cooling system while you are at it because sometimes there is poor water circulation to the back of the engine due to sludge and if that is the case it will not matter what heater the car has -it will still be cold.

If you want to take the heater out of the car it is not difficult but tedious and time consuming. It is necessary to take out both gloveboxes and dropping the parcel shelf down which will mean taking the steering wheel off on the driver's side to get that glovebox out. Of course it also requires draining the cooling system. The heater can be overhauled by replacing the matrix if necessary and renewing any internal foam that has deteriorated. The motor can be overhauled at the same time.

Stephen
Last edited by svenedin on Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Hello Mike - as far as the car's history is concerned, I imagine you've already had a look at this:-

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/re ... calls=true
moggiegeek
Minor Fan

Post by moggiegeek »

Welcome to the forum. I have fitted a heated rear window which is excellent. This was one with the heater wires in the glass not a self adhesive one - if they're still available.
The screen fitting I found really challenging on my own and in the end went to a auto glass firm in Bath who took it on as a bit of a professional challenge and a reminder if the " old ways". Useful tips included warming the new rubber surround. It's also a good opportunity to check out and repair rust in the metal surround.
Finally fitted it did leak but dribbling Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure (honest).into the external joint between glass and rubber comprehensively cured the problem.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Picking up on whether you already have a mini heater...
The standard minor heater has a single speed fan and a vertically operating flap lever. The mini heater has two speed fan and horizontal flap l;ever, but it is possible to convert that to the standard Minor front plate. The Minor heater uses 1/2 inch hose, the mini usually has 5/8 inch hose with reducers fitted inline to make the 1/2" connection to the heater tap and return pipe on the engine. On the heater casing, the Minor has a closed left hand panel, the mini has the same style of panel but with an inlet flap as well. Of course, every adaption can be different, but hopefully those are some pointers for you.

I agree that the saloon heated rear screens (wire in glass) are excellent. Did you know that you can also get heated front screens? These are fantastic for winter driving 8)
Edward1949
Minor Fan

Post by Edward1949 »

As above, I would definitely try flushing out the waterworks on the existing heater before embarking on a major overhaul. Changing to an 88 degree thermostat can also give great results. The standard heater in your Minor's year is pretty effective.
chrischris59
Minor Friendly

Post by chrischris59 »

There actually five types of heater fitted to the classic mini the very early one are the same as fitted to minor see attached if it works. :D https://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/fresh-a ... ts-1969-on
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Incidentally if you do decide it is necessary to replace the matrix in a late Morris Minor heater you can buy an upgraded matrix with 5/8" inlet/outlet (rather than the original 1/2") from Andrew Eggleton. I have not tried this but it was one of the upgrades that Charlie Ware MMC Bath used to offer.

Stephen
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

I have fitted the mini element to a standard minor box. The nlet/outlet were in a different position so I had to drill thr case. It's not too dificuilt to do.

Not sure how much difference it makes as I have only ever had the heater with this element, but the heater works well in my van. I up sized all thr pipework to 5/8 as part of this mod.

If you do take the heater out I would replace the hoses to/from it as it is easy while the heater is out