Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BaritoneUke
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

dual circuit brakes

Post by BaritoneUke »

hi, been looking into possible solutions for a few weeks...the upright mini master cylinder with a stepped bore and reservoir on the top has been suggested as a compact solution (requires a custom pedal box I think - don't actually have an example of the master yet). Anybody tried this? Or any obs? (I'll prob. get a used one to experiment and get a new one if the idea works out).
The split was apparently front to back (discs to shoes) so could be problematic for diagonal split?
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Re: dual circuit brakes

Post by stuffedpike20 »

I tried it 35 years ago with a Fiat 124 (?) master cylinder.
The cylinder fitted into the chassis rail just like a minor one, and used the same pedal and push rod set up. It had a remote filler, and split the drum brakes front and back.
One day the brakes seized on, and I removed it and went back to a morris one.
Happy days.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

"Back in the day" we used to use Marina/Ital dual circuit cylinder on a pedal box that was available off the shelf. I don't know if there are any still around.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

The OP says he is looking "for a solution" but doesn't say to what.....
I know that all of us drive modern cars which have dual circuit braking systems but have we ever actually needed them? I haven't.
I have driven a Morris Minor for more than 50 years fitted with standard drum brakes and find them absolutely fine in that form.
The brakes don't prevent me from doing anything I want to do with the car.
Therefore I will continue to enjoy my nice simple little car and not look for a solution to a problem I don't have :wink:
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

ManyMinors wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:24 pm The OP says he is looking "for a solution" but doesn't say to what.....
I know that all of us drive modern cars which have dual circuit braking systems but have we ever actually needed them? I haven't.
I have driven a Morris Minor for more than 50 years fitted with standard drum brakes and find them absolutely fine in that form.
The brakes don't prevent me from doing anything I want to do with the car.
Therefore I will continue to enjoy my nice simple little car and not look for a solution to a problem I don't have :wink:
There is a growing trend of people looking for solutions to problems that don't exist, it seems. But they often find that they do have problems subsequently! :-?
BaritoneUke
Minor Friendly

Post by BaritoneUke »

So glad stuffedpike20 survived the brake siezure - must have been quite a shock.
Marina pedal boxes seem to be a favourite from what I've seen. The australian solution looks very professional - spares back-up could be an issue - but at least it's made specifically for the job. :tu1:
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I understand the desire for dual circuit - I once had a single circuit Mini where one of the link/transfer pipes on the front wheel failed resulting in first a loss of pressure and then loss of fluid. I drove home carefully using the handbrake, but it would have been better with the other circuit still working - not least because the brake lights would have worked. Fortunately we lived in a rural area and it was late at night, so very little traffic. I would be happy to have the solution.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I took the attached photo some years ago. The pedal box and pedals of a Marina had been fitted. Not sure if I will ever get around to doing this and I'd want it to be a tidier job. Of course the handbrake is a kind of dual circuit.
Attachments
IMG_1293.JPG
IMG_1293.JPG (4.23 MiB) Viewed 127832 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Dual circuit brakes normally act diagonally not just front or back brakes.
Having the circuits diagonal goes a long way to ensuring that the car pulls up in a straight line.
Having the brakes split to front or rear increases the risk of the car spinning out of control under hard braking.

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I had a couple of VWs, that split diagonally and I remember they did it that way from the start. My late model MG Midget and my mother's BGT are, like my last two Minis, split front/rear.
BaritoneUke
Minor Friendly

Post by BaritoneUke »

Thank you people...very helpful. I'm coming around to the Phil's australian solution (minor magic), I can always order some spares at the same time in the unlikely event I need them urgently. It's ticked a number of boxes including having a sep. reservoir but not sure yet where this sits. :tu1:
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

The Minor Magic kit is based on the Aussie Ford Laser / Mazda 323 master cylinder. So spares are very widely available--here in Oz Kits of this design have been used in Oz for decades.
Don in Oz
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

viewtopic.php?t=76644

This post shows beetle mastercylinder fitted
Regards Bill
BaritoneUke
Minor Friendly

Post by BaritoneUke »

don58van wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:59 am The Minor Magic kit is based on the Aussie Ford Laser / Mazda 323 master cylinder. So spares are very widely available--here in Oz Kits of this design have been used in Oz for decades.
Don in Oz
Thanks useful info. The fact that it's been used for years ticks another box! We can all learn from the ozzies, even if we'll never, ever admit it to a living soul. :lol:
alan12666
Minor Friendly

Post by alan12666 »

I got the Minor Magic kit last year and fitted it in my 63 convertible. Very happy with it, and with the peace of mind the dual circuit brings. Be aware the pedal needs modifying to allow more travel for the dual circuit to work properly but I don't notice that while driving. Would recommend it even though not cheap.
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

20170113_200404 (1).jpg
20170113_200404 (1).jpg (89.85 KiB) Viewed 109791 times

I used a beetle dual circuit cylinder with a fabricated frame to mount it in the standard position, it also allowed me to servo assist the front (disc) brakes only which helps with the balance, whole set up works a treat.