Engine rebuild

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Classiccars
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Engine rebuild

Post by Classiccars »

Can anyone advise of someone that can rebuild my 1275 engine.Based in wales but can send engine or car as long as not too far due to transport cost thanks.
sirrom918
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Engine rebuild

Post by sirrom918 »

Haven't used them myself, but have heard good reports of Cotterell Engineering Ltd of Clay Cross, Chesterfield.

They recently (December 22nd) had a reconditioned 1975 MGB 1800 engine for sale on their Facebook 'Cotterell Engineering Ltd' page with photos and a list of the reconditioning specifications of the engine.

http://www.cotterellengineering.co.uk
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I've had two heads done by http://www.peter-burgess.com/ . Both work well (The last time, the people at the rolling road commented in it) and Mr Burgess is very helpful.
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Thanks both will look in to them further.
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Thank you both will look into them further
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes those companies, are worth checking out ———but I thought you had now decided to sell, reading your recent advertisement ?

Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Thanks Les to be honest I have been determined to save this traveller and spent a lot towards that.But now had enough as chasing endless issues.Wanting to move on and sell but also tempted to try to fix her so she can go for many more years.If I continue it will depend on rebuilt price as anything I spend won't show in a selling price.It will just be yo get a fun driving car back on the road.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes, you need to consider the economics of it all. Sometimes you have to draw the line at some point, check the costs of the options and decide from there. Good luck.

Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Will do thank you.
Peted7202
Minor Fan

Post by Peted7202 »

You are right Les as it it widely known that the majority of good quality restorations will not make money on any car let alone a Moggy.

TV programmes like Wheeler Dealers are misleading and take little account of the man hour costs even if you consider these to be free if done by yourself. Any decision needs to be made at the outset of the restoration taking into account the initial and likely total cost depending on the finish you want and if you plan to sell on or keep. These decisions need to be carefully considered taking into account your own restoration skills, facilities and time.
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Some good news as I have found a good engineering company in Brynmawr Wales that do a proper job at a fair price.The hardest part is getting the chap to relieve the car of the engine and return it to the same when done.But I think I see a light at the end of a very long tunnel.Got yo love a moggie to spend all the money and time but if I had not there is a possibilitie she may have been scrapped.And we can't have that after 50 plus years.Not on my watch.
panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by panky »

:tu1: