Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
blue_cortina
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Manifold gasket issues

Post by blue_cortina »

In order to try and cure issues of 'fumes' getting into the car I decided (right or wrong) to redo the exhaust to manifold joint and replace the manifold gasket. Spent some time doing this and trying to make sure all traces of old gasket were removed before fitting new one but after all that effort I've only made the situation worse. Now when I try and start the car it revs uncontrollably high, so I presume there there is an air leak around the inlet part so air is coming into the engine when it shouldn't. Feel down hearted.
Helping my son with his Morris Minor 1970 Panda Car Replica (both club members)
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Manifold gasket issues

Post by les »

Would it start with an air leak at the manifold, you sure you didn’t disturb the throttle in any way when you were working.

King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by King Kenny »

Check the throttle return spring is still attached properly. Mine snapped one day and it revved like b....y.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

blue_cortina wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:16 am Now when I try and start the car it revs uncontrollably high
I had this once, scared the life out of me, turned out I'd snagged the accelerator cable (wasn't even working on it but had still somehow caught it) so it was stuck in a partially pulled position - just needed to be unhooked from whatever it had caught on to solve the problem.
blue_cortina
Minor Friendly

Post by blue_cortina »

Thanks for ideas, I will check, but I'm pretty sure it's not the accelerator links. I only undid the part that holds the outer of the cable and spring is definitely back on, I did nearly forget that.
blue_cortina
Minor Friendly

Post by blue_cortina »

I went back to the car the next day. I tightened a couple of the manifold nuts very slightly and although the throttle cable was still securely clamped I slackened it off very slightly. I wish I tried it again before touching anything as it was all fine - and I felt I changed things so little I wonder if the gasket had settled overnight. The cable I adjusted a few mm and honestly it was revving really high the day before. Oh well - one issue has gone away and I can get back to all the others. Thanks again for the replies - it did stop going back out and pulling everything apart which would probably have been my plan. Also I got to use the car the next day to get to work - sop that was nice.
svenedin
Minor Legend

Post by svenedin »

Good news.
1969 1098cc Convertible “Xavier” which I have owned since 1989.

Stephen