Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rocco
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Unknown grill part

Post by rocco »

I've split the parts of the grill yesterday and then looked up the cost of new parts, before deciding whether I will attempt repair or restore on existing parts.

I found everything except the part shown below at ESM. Is it something that is just rare or is it a custom part? Where the starter handle goes looks a bit rough, like someone has badly bent the metal out of position, which makes me wonder if it's an original part.
Front_Inner_Grill.jpg
Front_Inner_Grill.jpg (458.32 KiB) Viewed 161 times
1961 Morris Minor 1000
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Unknown grill part

Post by ManyMinors »

That is the radiator cowl and is completely original for a late Minor 1000 fitted with the fresh air heater. If your car is a 1961 model, then the panel has clearly been replaced at some time. It looks in good condition. The damage around the starting handle access will have been caused by use/misuse of the starting handle and I wouldn't worry about that too much. Give the panel a good clean up - or get it sandblasted prior to repainting and it'll last for years :) .
I've attached a picture taken from the original parts book. Part number is ARA189. You'll be lucky to find a new one anywhere and I doubt a secondhand one would be any better than the one you already have.
radiator cowl.JPG
radiator cowl.JPG (122.21 KiB) Viewed 152 times
rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

Thank you for that. I am not surprised that it's a replacement, not original to my car but it does look as if it'll clean up and if they're difficult to get hold of, I'll clean it up and use it again. I have a new front plate/grill already.
1961 Morris Minor 1000
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

As has been said, this part is for the later model, which had the elephant hose air intake.

There are new (replica) panels for the Series V form DMG.

https://www.abingdonmgparts.co.uk/produ ... 8cc/rad114

There are repair panels for the lower part available

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163951780558 ... gLqZfD_BwE

There are also whole panels, albeit second hand, which are original to an earlier Series III car, if you are going for originality.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186423068718 ... gJ03PD_BwE
rocco
Minor Fan

Post by rocco »

Thanks, that's really useful to know that they can still be bought new.

I'm going to clean up the one I have and re-use it. I know it's not original but so much of my car is like that so I'm not going to be particular about it. Having a fresh air vent would be ideal anyway, how did it look before this? Warm air from under the bonnet or none at all?
1961 Morris Minor 1000
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

They were much the same apart from the fresh air intake. It will give you no benefit inside the earlier car as the large hole in the bulkhead is presumably not there, nor the hose which connects them and your heater is likely to be different.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 13.00.18.png
Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 13.00.18.png (3.11 MiB) Viewed 59 times