Winners of the 2011 Inter-Branch Challenge
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rsawatson
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: younger members thread.

Post by rsawatson »

What sort of activities would the meetings of a YPs' branch consist of?

I think the idea in principle is a good one, because as much as I enjoy and get on well with the other members of my branch, I am the only other person by a wide margin 'under 30'. Not that I am made to feel alienated in any way, in fact quite the opposite, it would still be good to meet up and spend time with other members of the MMOC of similar age/interests.

Go for it! :D

PS - pity I missed the National this year, would have liked to see the stand!
Ryan Watson

MColes
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by MColes »

rsawatson wrote:What sort of activities would the meetings of a YPs' branch consist of?
I suppose it would have to be discussed when/if we get committee approval. Regular meeting would obviously be a problem.
rsawatson wrote:I think the idea in principle is a good one, because as much as I enjoy and get on well with the other members of my branch, I am the only other person by a wide margin 'under 30'. Not that I am made to feel alienated in any way, in fact quite the opposite, it would still be good to meet up and spend time with other members of the MMOC of similar age/interests.
Wouldn't say I feel alienated either, just a bit like a fish out of water. I want to go out and do things with the car, like runs etc. where as the older members prefer to sit around and talk about engine part numbers :roll: :lol: It seems to me like younger owners just go out and drive their cars where as the older owners (in my branch at least) seem to think using them everyday or in the rain will damage them. They all thought I was crazy to make the 244 mile trip from Cardiff to the national, none of them had faith in their cars to do it.
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
GDL
Minor Friendly

Post by GDL »

i quite like this idea, not sure if i fit the age bracket though (33) but that would not stop me from trying to gate crash, as what i have found that the more experienced morris drivers tend to be a bit more rigid in their views on the minors (not saying that the less experinced people aren't)in terms of modifcations, styling etc. and really only want to discuss non tampered cars etc.

so i say give it a go, and if it falls flat after a couple of months, then so be it. But younger blood should be encouraged no matter what the car looks like; standard, rat rod, hot rod, modified etc - at the end of the day young or old you will still come under the same umbrella of the "morris minor owners club" and all proceeds will go to supporting this club.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

MColes wrote:
Wouldn't say I feel alienated either, just a bit like a fish out of water. I want to go out and do things with the car, like runs etc. where as the older members prefer to sit around and talk about engine part numbers :roll: :lol: It seems to me like younger owners just go out and drive their cars where as the older owners (in my branch at least) seem to think using them everyday or in the rain will damage them. They all thought I was crazy to make the 244 mile trip from Cardiff to the national, none of them had faith in their cars to do it.
Point taken Matt especially
the older members prefer to sit around and talk about engine part numbers
Sorry but we just can't help ourselves at our branch.

I think that in our branch we are possibly not run of the mill as quite a few of the older owners do like to go on drives and rally's and a couple of our retired members did the 200 +miles to the Nation along with a couple of younger members.
Admitedly its the same people who tend to go and the are some that dont or wont, I am never quite sure on that point.
Just as an aside we have 10 branch members going on the MOT UK and more than half have qualified for their bus passes :o

So good luck and onwards and upwards :D
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

Thanks for the suppport kevin.
You will never persuade the average “Motorist” to have an interest in classic cars, no matter what their age
This is not what we are trying to do. Everyone is different and likes different cars, you can't make someone like something. Hence why I'm not your typical 'yoof' driving around in a chavved up corsa with a stupidly loud sound system and exhaust to match :roll: :lol:. The point of the group/branch would be to promote the use of these cars by young people who like these cars already, but are put off by the idea that only older people can afford to own, maintain and drive them. The point is not to get every young person to like them because that would just get boring.

If someone didn't have an interest in these cars already surely they wouldn't be looking to see if a young persons group/branch even exists? The same was as if you didn't have an interest in Minors you wouldn't try and find a messageboard like this to be a member of. So it wouldn't be a case of persuading anyone into anything, they would need to approach us.
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

RobMoore
Minor Addict

Post by RobMoore »

I love to drive mine, infact I got rid of my modern and moddy is my daily drive, although he did break down last night. :o
Moggieless :(

Another great Moggy orientated Forum.
http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

Unfortunately I am one of those 'older members' :oops: but I certainly don't like just sitting around with my car. This is exactly why I have organised 2 LEO Runs and 2 MOT-UK's. Sadly this years LEO, like last years, had to be cancelled due to a lack of interest :o
Kevin wrote:Just as an aside we have 10 branch members going on the MOT UK and more than half have qualified for their bus passes :o
In a similar vein to Kevin, we have 12 branch members taking part in this years MOT-UK, and 9 of those qualify for their bus passes :lol: Most of these, like those from Kevin's branch, are also taking part in the drives and activities that have been planned :D
Bill Hewlett

Oxon & Berks Branch Chairman - MOT-UK Organiser (see http://www.blurb.com/books/1518384 and http://www.blurb.com/books/2422813)
Oxon & Berks Website: http://www.bucksinfo.net/mogbox/
stephenpolhill
Minor Addict

Post by stephenpolhill »

Some good comments here. I reckon we should give it a go then. It would be nice to organise something as a group of younger members. Maybe if people see a group of younger owners it may encourage more. Don't know til you try it :lol:

Just J-j-j-jiggle it a bit.
'Fiona' - a 1965 original 'C' 2dr in Almond Green
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... bc64c7805b
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Bill I think we had better be careful as this is a youngsters thread and we are turning into a bus pass competition :lol:
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

I did not mean to tar everyone with the same brush, as I said that's how it is in my branch, there a the odd one or two not like this such as SantaDawes, I can only envy the branches whose members are a lot more active.

It does seem that younger members use their cars a lot more though, but as mentioned earlier this could be because, due to financial constraints, they can only afford the one car.
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

Kevin wrote:Bill I think we had better be careful as this is a youngsters thread and we are turning into a bus pass competition :lol:
All input is appretiated. Just wish I had a free bus pass, the fares are scandalous :o
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

:lol:

OK, here's one of our branch events, http://www.bucksinfo.net/mogbox/photos/ ... id=1831518, not a bus pass in sight :wink: :lol:
Bill Hewlett

Oxon & Berks Branch Chairman - MOT-UK Organiser (see http://www.blurb.com/books/1518384 and http://www.blurb.com/books/2422813)
Oxon & Berks Website: http://www.bucksinfo.net/mogbox/
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

charlie_morris_minor wrote: chickenjohn i am not sure if you are on a wind-up
chickenjohn wrote:
1) the Minor is not a Mini or Vee Dub and it never will be, we do not have surfer/hippy/drag race culture or Michael Caine/ Monte carlo rally etc history that goes back to the 60's. The Minor's appeal is different, It is a nice car for nice people. Nurses, teachers, vicars etc.
No wind up, there are historical reasons why the veedub and Mini shows are like they are and those reasons do not apply to the Minor. Unless you can go back in time and re-invent history you cannot make the Minor something it is not. It has a different appeal to the veedub and Mini, trying to radically change everything will solve nothing. You cannot make the car something it isn't- like trying to teach your dad to breakdance!

speak for yourself! As a youngster I was a goth / hunt sab with blue hair I am not a nurse, teacher, vicar etc and that middle class attitude real does scare me. maybe you would like to ask people their job / earning potential before allowing them to join the club?

speak for yourself, when I was a teenager, i was a long haired headbanging heavy metal fan who played guitar in a band, and I still am (though I don't do the silly head banging anymore- or the long hair- but do still play guitar in a band)
chickenjohn wrote: 2) There is no demographic crisis in the club or Minor ownership, Young people are buying cars, but the majority of new members are 40-50 somethings. As long as we keep attracting this age group on a rolling basis over time then there will never be a demographic crisis.
40 / 50 year old's come along find what they want and stay.. 18 year old's come along and leave .. might be interesting if the club could analysis the renewal rates over under 25's compared to over 25's if we continually wait for people to be 40 before feeling happy in the club they will have become interested in other makes / models and not get into moggies.

That is up to them if they don't stay, like I said you cannot make the car and culture something it is not. The Minor is for everyone and they are free to join the club when they wish
chickenjohn wrote: 3) "Younger" people are of course welcome, as equally as are older people, or anybody who likes the Minor. I was 31 when I bought my traveller.
i was 18 when i purchased my traveller what is your point? 31 is still young! It was circumstances that prevented me from buying a classic earlier, i wanted a classic since I could drive, what is your point???
chickenjohn wrote:
4) It is getting harder for 20-30 somethings to own a classic car these days due to the cost of housing, and not having the space/ time to work on restoring/maintaining a classic car. They have to run it as a main car as they cannot afford/ do not have the space to keep a weekend car.
isn't that the point under 30's have specific problems which apply more to them than other ages. That is why we have registers for lcv / MM etc etc so that people with the same type of cars and hence same problems can get together and share knowledge and ideas.

yes, all Minor owners should get together and share knowledge, not just any particular age group being singled out
chickenjohn wrote: 5) We need to promote Minor ownership to ALL regardless of age.
this i think is the only one I agree with you on.
agreed, and we do have all agre groups at the East kent branch and yet we have not turned into a bunch of surfing hippies!
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Sidney'61 wrote:
chickenjohn wrote:1) the Minor is not a Mini or Vee Dub and it never will be, we do not have surfer/hippy/drag race culture or Michael Caine/ Monte carlo rally etc history that goes back to the 60's. The Minor's appeal is different, It is a nice car for nice people. Nurses, teachers, vicars etc.
Are youngsters not nice people then? :-? thanks.

I'd just like to point out that of the 5 cars that appeared on the young peoples stand over the course of national 3 of them were completely standard and all 5 are used as daily cars, we own minors because they are interesting, fun and practical cars so rally history or hippy culture is not at all important.

The stand at the national helped people to notice that there are younger minor owners out there and helped other young people to come forward and ask questions so a young owners branch would help to bring in younger members to the club, whether they like their cars standard or modified.

Surely a young owners branch would 'divide the club' only as much as a series MM or minor million owners register would.
Please don't misinterpret what I posted! :o Of course there are nice people of all ages. Those are the people the Minor naturally attracts.

I agree with you though, we should not divide the club! There are few enough Minors as it is and with all the threats of modern legislation from the EU, we need to stick together- ALL ages!
ImageImage
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

You cannot make the car something it isn't- like trying to teach your dad to breakdance!
I couldn't disagree more! The car, the same as anything else you do in life, is what you make it. You can trundle around town in it like Miss Daisy or go for a cruise down to the coast with your mates. It's whatever you want it to be.
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Well, in the East Kent branch we go further than a cruise to the coast, This year we went back to the ISle of Wight! And as for a cruise to the coast, I live near the coast anyway.

We have organised drives such as the "drive it day" this year that was well attended, and our rally "The Hop" (open to all ages) features an organised dribe through the beautiful Kent countryside.

See, the Minor is already what it is! I have used my Minor quite a bit.

What is "Miss Daisy"????? :P
ImageImage
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

chickenjohn wrote:What is "Miss Daisy"????? :P
It's a film, "Driving Miss Daisy", which looks a bit dull so I've never seen it :wink: Daisy is also the name of our ancient Army Lightweight Landrover, an eBay find which saved our bacon during last winter when the steep snowy lanes round here were completely impassable other than on foot or in a very alert four-wheel-drive 8)

chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Thanks Wibble, so the above poster was saying the Minor is dull??? :o :roll:

I like Landrovers, if I was lucky enough to live out in the country I'd get one.

Nice does not mean dull!!! :lol:
ImageImage
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

Well, in the East Kent branch we go further than a cruise to the coast, This year we went back to the ISle of Wight! And as for a cruise to the coast, I live near the coast anyway.
It was just an example, we do more than that in our local branch and a as young owner's branch we have big plans if we get the go ahead :D . We just want to do things aimed more at younger people. For example this years national, the country and western theme was very well thought out and planned and the everyone I spoke to who went to the evening entertainment enjoyed themselves, but it didn't really appeal to the young people.
See, the Minor is already what it is!
I don't understand where you are getting the idea that we are trying to change the image of the car, we're not, we're just trying to introduce more younger people to the car. As I said "the car is what you make it".
so the above poster was saying the Minor is dull??? :o :roll:
If I thought that would I be on my second? :-?
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

limegreen
Minor Fan

Post by limegreen »

I agree with the idea of a place for younder members to discuss everything, but equally not to segregate - which is the aim. I do enjoy 'listening in' on most threads here, and have built some very nice friendships with people on here (: Admittedly most of them are young, but i find the older members just as lovely to get along with.