Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Gearbox overhaul

Post by bmcecosse »

Oh dear - is the 948 one too different to be used ?
ImageImage
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Modified gearbox front cover available from ESM Pt No: 10G131 but not cheap at £72.25 plus the usual.
If you can find a good standard S/H one (Pt No: 22G118) I personally would go for that.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You can try these people - many parts - and generally 'expensive' I think - but they may have the part you need - worth asking... I have to say that 2nd gear is 'tempting' - hard to find these days ! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-Minor- ... 1c4be87a35
ImageImage
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

I have discovered this seller, they also have have a website outside of ebay.....

http://www.mirabelleclassiccars.co.uk/gearbox.html

My first gear ring had seen better days, not helped by me I am sure as I have given it a few goes of trying first instead of third while learning to drive a real car again, got the habit now of making sure the lever is moved over on 2 to 3 change up. The laygear on first while serviceable has also seen better days, but could be pressed into use, and will be kept as such as a spare.

Third has also lost a dog tooth, how thats happened is anyones guess, no damage on the hub and it looks an old break, and there was no tooth in the oil I drained.

Gearbox has cost me a bit more than I anticiapated, and was kind of verging on find a good one complete, but then I would rather rebuild the devil I know. A spare one will be on the cards when I find one looking for a new home, seems a useful item to have in stock.

I have a cover offered to me from my post in the wanted section.

At least it will be a decent box at the end of this I hope, :wink:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Take great care when tightening up that front cover - i think that's when they can be cracked - with uneven tightening........
ImageImage
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

That would not surprise me as to how thats happened, some of the bolts and screws on the car have been stupidly tight. I always do such things up evenly

Are there any torques spec'd for the gearbox. or is it usual torques bearing in mind thats its alloy.

Brake pedal has new bushes in now, grease nipple fitted and I have sorted out the hole where the clevis pin does through, coat of paint needed and its nice to see something going back together rather than pulling things apart.
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

Well I got my replacement gears today, and all look good. The first gear ring I have now has 33 teeth, not quite sure why but it all looks good. Was easy to fit back to the hub, tywraps and three nails and no problem.

What does the little slug do inside the hub ?, I cant actually see how it is moved or pressed by anything, I have read about there being a relieved tooth or something on first but I cant see anything on my existing gear or the new one. Am I about to fall into a trap here.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

How many teeth did the old first gear have ?? Fig FFF2 explains where the slug goes - and warns you if it's wrong then second gear will be impossible....
ImageImage
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

Ah, that cut away tooth, I can see it now, have to check that tomorrow, if its wrong then its a practice at refitting.

The one that was on the car has 32 teeth, I now have 33 with the resultant tiny change in pitch.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hmmmmm not too sure about that...... FFF2 shows 31 teeth...(but it's only a drawing) This one from Minispares has 32 teeth.
http://minispares.com/product/Classic/G ... 0to%20shop
ImageImage
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

I have just had another look at the one I have, its nothing like the original. There is no relieved tooth, the profile of the detents inside is totally different, and it has dog teeth on both ends, like it has synchro on both ends ???.

This is the one on the car......[frame]Image[/frame]

And this is the one I have been provided, which looks nothing like anything else he has listed for 1098 rib case boxes....[frame]Image[/frame]

Anyone recognise what it is for, don't think its the right part, and not going to work.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Possibly from a Mini but if I were to count a different number of teeth in the first place then it would be telling me it was wrong, and be sent back or put in the bin!

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Have you mixed up the two pictures ? It's not clear which is the 'new' one. If it has dog teeth both ends -it's probably for a Mini 4 syncro box.
ImageImage
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

The new one is the one on the bottom, definately got synchro teeth on both ends, its a 22a460 that was in the gearbox.

The seller is having a look at his other stock, think its a genuine mistake that I am sure will be rectified.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The one on the bottom is far from 'new'......are you buying a second hand part ??
ImageImage
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

Yes, its very marked on that end, indeed they are used parts, now been replaced with the correct one, along with the hub that's been been thrown in for good measure, that bears the right part number and is hopefully a little less marked, especially if that's the second gear end, always a gamble used parts, fingers crossed.

Onto re assembly are there any torque settings, and how tight should the nuts be on the shafts, neither were particularly tight when undoing them.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Does it now have the correct number of teeth? I would say - nuts as tight as you can reasonably get them !
ImageImage
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

Yes correct number of teeth, I read another post here that there was a reduction from 33 teeth to 32 to improve tooth form, presumably for noise reduction?, a straight cut gear is never going to be the quietest and you don't spend that long in it though.

I don't want the speedo drive coming loose, so will pull them up sensible tight, very tempted to use a dab of loctite as well.

There were no shims between tail housing and bearing, nor front cover and bearing, so once I have it rebuilt I will have to measure up and acquire the suitable shims.

The rest of the threads, tail housing mainly I will look up recommended torque for 1/4" into ally.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The tiny bolts - just nip them up sensibly and carefully - using only a short ring key.
ImageImage
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

Yep, dont want to be cranking them up too much.

This is the replacement first gear that he sent me, included the whole lot. This looks almost new, certainly lots more of the teeth left than mine. The bits that come out of the box can go in the spares box.

Once the bearings and piece arrive from BM the rebuild can commence.

Maisie should be running and driving very well ths year, looking forward to a drive, I am having Minor driving withdrawal symptoms. She means a lot to me, named after my late Mum who made it all possible.

Thanks for everyones help and input on this while my Minor apprenticeship continues, fast knowing her inside out.[frame]Image[/frame]