Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bengaku
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: New to classic cars

Post by Bengaku »

Update time found why horn not working earth wire was cut reconnected wire horn works but no window wipers indicators no heater took wire off and all works apart from horn been trying to sort it since 8:30am no luck any ideas where I'm going wrong
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Not a lot of people know this but the horn is operated by interrupting the negative supply with a switch and not the positive supply, that should go to the horn direct from source.

Bengaku
Minor Friendly

Post by Bengaku »

Good to know Thanks for information. Went to Halfords taliing to the guy seems the problem might be a bit of corrosion on contacts on the interior light which runs off the same fuse so will look tomorrow keep you updated
Gordi Smith
Minor Friendly

Post by Gordi Smith »

Bengaku wrote:fist picture of Mo[frame]Image[/frame]
Hi Ben!
Mo is a wee cracker.
cheers!
G
Bengaku
Minor Friendly

Post by Bengaku »

Hi thank you he has a wee issue with rust on rear wings and doors at the bottom hopefully that can be sorted
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Check the fuses and clean their terminals under the bonnet/bulkhead - they often oxidise and this results in a poor contact and no feed to the items you mentioned. :wink:
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
Bengaku
Minor Friendly

Post by Bengaku »

So checked the interior light it was corroded cleaned it up reconnect battery nothing have wipers etc didnt connect horn but light isnt working checked fuse and terminal both ok so any suggestions before i have to take this to a auto shop
Gordi Smith
Minor Friendly

Post by Gordi Smith »

Ben - did you see amgrave's post earlier?
(Regarding the horn switch interrupting the -ve feed)

If I'm understanding your description, the horn works ok now when connected, but when connected it is stopping your other electrics (wipers etc) from working?

Sounds like they might be earthing through the horn circuit in some way?
Just thinking out loud here but, Is the horn wired the right way around?
Does it have two wires? If so, maybe try (briefly) swapping the wires on it in case it is shorting out your other circuits?

If it's the connection of the horn circuit which has stopped your other stuff working, I'd definitely be concentrating on checking the wiring of the horn circuit first. (Any frayed wires? Anything else wired in to the same circuit? etc)

G
"Tiddles" - 1971 4dr saloon

Bengaku
Minor Friendly

Post by Bengaku »

Hi yeah I did look at the horn didn't think of swapping wires as one of the wires was cut off at the end so I put a new spade on the wire hooked it to horn it worked but all other electrics didn't so took off wire back to normal checked interior light had corrosion on it took off all this refit light but it didn't work so far I haven't reconnected the horn wire so to sum up light fitting has been cleaned wires in correctly as from pictures and descriptions on forums but when I disconnected the purple wire ie live to light nothing worked again I'm at a loss
Bengaku
Minor Friendly

Post by Bengaku »

Latest update went back to the start cleaned every contact in the engine bay checked with multi meter as I went reconnected wire to horn results are horn ,wipers,fuel gauge etc all work yeahhhhhh .so finally car runs and drives also stops after sorting brakes and now Mo had his toot toot and wipers back .
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

You may need to remove the interior light door switches and clean their contacts - be careful not to lose the connecting wire down the A-post as you pull them out! :wink:

Also, test the bulb actually works by hooking it across a 12V source, e.g., car battery or charger.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)