Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Classic car snobbery

Post by SteveClem »

Well, I suppose there are just nice people and the other sort.
Redmoggy
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Redmoggy »

When I was younger I was a dead set Custom fan, I was always told by those of a similar disposition that all classic car owners were snobs and anoraks and should be avoided at all costs!

The fist year I finished my little 58 Minor custom I did a round of local car shows in and around Hampshire. At one of the Classic shows was the local Morris Minor owners club. They had a very nicely restored 58 2 door in the same shade of green my car would have been originally. With a little trepidation I asked the Gents present if they would mind me bringing my car over for a few pics next to it's original counter part. Absolutely lovely bunch of chaps, were more than happy to oblige and generally talk cars. Changed my views instantly.

Rod
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

Well I must be an inverse snob because I've got a 'my other car is a morris minor' sticker in the back of the Bentley :D
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

My sticker is on the Austin A30..
AliceDurose
Minor Friendly

Post by AliceDurose »

My plan with those stickers is to get one ... when I have a second Morris. It appeals to my strange (and awful) sense of humour :)

Though I think we may be some years off that dream yet!

Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

62 four door in work on Thursday, sticker in the back window read 'I sold my Ferrari for the deposit on this Morris'

Rod
crackers
Minor Friendly

Post by crackers »

I wave at other classics owners and usually get a wave back, sometimes with a look of shock (maybe they were new to the game and had never thought of it).
Often get waves from people on the side of the road - you do NOT own a Morry if you don't want to be looked at.

The funniest one was a bloke in a four wheel drive ute that started flashing his headlights as we approached each other. My first thought was "speed camera". But he kept flashing, which you don't do for a revenue raiser. Then I got close enough to see the stupid grin and the frantic waving :D
He got a grin and a wave back.
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

A man in a brand new Aston Martin waved at me today and my Minor van isn't looking at its best as the drivers side has got primer round the rear wheel arch and some on the front wing as I am doing some body work on it.