Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: New MOT Rules?

Post by kevin s »

I understood the main driver behind this change is the new European MOT which introduces a semi automated test using shaker plates, automated electronic checks and the like which are not really compatible with older cars.

So continuing with the status quo doing the same as modern cars is probably not an option, we either need specific test for older vehicles or nothing at all, on the balance the government believes the risk is so low it's not worth investing in a separate test, the figures above seem to support this.

Personally I can see both sides, any responsible driver should ensure their vehicle is roadworthy anyway If they are not capable of doing this themselves then pay someone to do it. On the other hand too many people overestimate their own capability or simply don't care.

On balance I support a bi-annual safety check for all vehicles including pre 1960, if the government does not introduce it I can see the insurance industry will do it, lets just hope it does not end up as expensive as the check they require on LPG fueled cars (£140).
Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

As far as I understand this policy was mentioned in the 2016 budget and is in fact going to be law from 1st April 2017. See the update: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... c-vehicles

les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Oh well, I'm sure I can wait six months before I take my old jalopy off sorn! :)

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Dryad wrote:As far as I understand this policy was mentioned in the 2016 budget and is in fact going to be law from 1st April 2017. See the update: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... c-vehicles
This link seems to refer to the tax exemption, which is becoming a rolling 40 year exemption in April. I don't think it refers to the MoT exemption which is the subject of this thread, unless I've missed something.
Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

Oops, my mistake! :oops: I followed a link about MOT exemption and eventually ended up there. Sorry. :lol:

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Not to worry - I learned something anyway! Not much relevance to us on here, but my brother will be delighted to learn his motorbike is going to be tax free. :D
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I fell for it! :roll: