Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Gearbox overhaul

Post by bmcecosse »

Does it need a slit? Surely if turned up to be a nice secure fit in the tail housing (with a wipe of Loctite) , and then bored to suit the prop shaft.... I would be tempted to put a light reverse scroll in the bore to discourage oil from running out.
ImageImage
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

I wouldn't think it needs a slit either. The tail seal (10G199) is a lip seal, which needs a little lubrication, combined with a felt ring so I wouldn't expect problems. The ESM website shows the bush (10G198) with a slit and an oil groove. It is out of stock though at ESM.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
biomed32uk
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by biomed32uk »

Seems I had the last bush from ESM, its now sitting on my desk, for what a piece of bronze tube was going to cost me I go for the bush.

Its a copy of what came out, slit all the way down and an oil groove all the way down.

I will draw it in and then sort out sizing it.

With the split, and the oil groove is there a preferred orientation for the bush ?, I am taking no notice of how it came out, as the box had not been built that well in my opinion.

Did some more with the box last night, putting front covers on. Testing the gears and it all seems to work OK. However 1st got itself stuck, too far over and the balls showing, had to encourage it back. Been reading some other posts about this. I have to admit that was with me pushing the fork, it flew over at a hell of a rate and of course with the side cover off the detents are not there. I will need to test this properly once I have the tail and remote back on the box, sure its a gentle motion using the lever and not slamming the gear over.

Dropped the lever in for powder coating this morning, think they are having a matt black run tomorrow so that should be back quickly.
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

Well I have my lever back from being powder coated, paint would just wear off here.

Tailshaft bush is fitted, just waiting for a reamer to show so I can fit the bush to the prop.

I've done the front cover and the shims for the bearing.

Once I have the bush reamed the tail can go back on, bearing shimmed again and the selector mechanism tested.

Put the side cover back and hopefully the jobs a good un.

Then just to reasemble half the car !.
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

Just an update in that I hope to have the manual I was writing for the gearbox rebuild done this week, probably just put a link to my dropbox up so it can be downloaded, need someone to rebuild a box and prove it for me.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Sounds good Biomed,
Work like that is always appreciated-looking forward to seeing it!
Keep up the good work.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

Well I have completed the 1st version of my gearbox rebuild manual, hopefully its of use to someone as a guide. I am no Morris gearbox expert, its just my account of rebuilding what appears to be a working gearbox at the end, the final proof of that is yet to happen . There are some tweaks and additions required to it, and I will get them done in due course. Things have been a little hectic round here for the last month.

I have loaded the file onto my dropbox, the link is below, I have made it into a PDF.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/509 ... ebuild.pdf
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I just skimmed through it and I've got to say I'm well impressed. Great clear pictures and an equally clear description, well done - I might even attempt it myself following your lead :D
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Very impressing Biomed. Ten out of ten! I doubt if it could be done better and many thanks for sharing!
Did you do a disassembly guide?

Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Hi Biomed

Thanks for undertaking this huge task for the rest of us.

It looks looks to be a very polished production.

I will be undertaking a gearbox rebuild shortly and I can see that this will be a huge help.

Our Spridget friends should be made aware of this resource too.

Don
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Don,
I have just informed the Spridget guys here in Germany-good idea!

Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

Excellent production, better pictures than the usual book we all look at. Well done and thanks for sharing. :D
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

That's so well done and useful. Thanks for taking the time and effort to produce. Just think how many questions and protracted explanations on the forum you will have saved. :)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Great illustrations. :D

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Wow! I've always viewed gearboxes as no-go zones requiring advanced engineering skills and equipment. Now I'm tempted to find a second hand box to rebuild. Thanks.
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Post by biomed32uk »

Thanks for all the good comments guys, I hope it is of use, my way of putting something back for the advice and help I have asked for.

I want to add in re assembling the 1st/2nd gear to the hub, everyone told me it was a nightmare to do, one tywrap and it was together in 2 mins, no balls launched round the workshop. I have a spare assy to photograph the procedure with now.

I need to get the car rebuilt as well now, weathers warming up at last, I have a little pit of paint I want to do on the floor and then the grand re assembly can start. Once thats done my workshop is getting extended this summer so I can put the car in the front as a garage and push my workshop down the back. The covers been great this year and shes fine underneath, I've been anal about polish and paint sealant, but nothing like a garage