ins and outs of sva

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
boolean129
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

ins and outs of sva

Post by boolean129 »

Welung666

Thanks for the help I shall get my form of this week
As for a project car I am doing the old chestnut :evil: 8 jag rear front clip from mgb V8 SD1 callipers LPG and so on,
Any way is there anyone who is up on the ins and outs of the sva do need to follow this procedure or is it that because im using old part from British cars I don’t need to even go there,
I have already sent log book away with new engine number on it and CC and this came back without any ?s.
Whatever the outcome I shall carry on with my 1963 £27 pound tax exempt Morris anyway
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Basically if the chassis is original and unchanged you shouldn't need to take an SVA test. I have to admit I'm not very savvy myself on the SVA's but I know a man who is :P If you send an email with the full details of your conversion to Sandy Hamilton I'm sure he'll be able to advise you the best course of action. His email address is rosie.hamiltonATmmocDOTorgDOTuk.

P.S. call me Lee, it's easier to spell :P
Last edited by Welung666 on Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

All the MOT guy looks for is that the details in the computer tally with the details on the car (in my experience). So make sure chassis number is there, and engine number is correct - probably quite a few A series minors would fall victim to this one.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Sadly, an SVA is required by law if you fall within it's grasp.

Any car that is modified with donor engine, gearbox, suspension, axles etc... WILL need an SVA.
The process works on a points system - the only exclusions are for customisation done before some date (can't remember the arbitary year but it was a long time ago). Therefore unless your project was modified donkeys years ago (and you ahve some proof of it) then you are legally required to go for an SVA.

I've never done it, but if you can proove that all the parts are the same vintage, then I 'heard' that you're allowed to keep your tax exempt status.

As regards bucking the system, - I certainly wouldn't advise it, however Minors are less likely to raise a red flag in the system.
Land-Rovers on the other hand are checked far far more often.
probably quite a few A series minors would fall victim to this one.
yup - and a fair few would get in hot water :(
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Innovator
Minor Fan

Post by Innovator »

Currently a big grey area.

I have a friend who talked to the top man at a SVA test centre. Hypothetically speaking he had a Beetle with 100% stock body work but modified engine suspension etc. He said it did not require an SVA.

He spoke to the VOSA 3 times and got 3 different answers.

There is no way a stock Minor would pass the SVA so how is it judged?
uax6
Minor Friendly

Post by uax6 »

Not wishing to upset the apple cart here, but the Dept for transport site says that sva is only required for vehicles built within the last ten years for the purpose of registration. Surely then this would exempt all minors??

Andy G
Judge
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Judge »