Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Welung666
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

8 way flasher unit

Post by Welung666 »

Does anyone have a schematic and wiring diagram for this? I'm trying to figure out if I can do a 'Maplin special' rather than forking out £50 on a new one. My old flasher unit has died today and I have a pair of NOS L549's to go on Phoebe to bring her back to original spec.

Here's hoping :P
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

Yes, see this old thread.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Thanks for that Alex :D Do you think these DPDT relays are suitable to use? Maybe mounted in a small waterproof box?
Rob_Jennings
Minor Addict

Post by Rob_Jennings »

looks like they would be fine to me.
Rob
Lizzy 1970 Morris Minor Traveller and Noah 1969 Morris Mini Traveller
ImageImage
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Cool :D Look out Maplins :lol:
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

Lee,

I have a diagram that shows 4 standard auto relays to achieve the same functionality as the DB10 unit. Can even be put in the existing box! I can email it to you (Word document) if you send me a PM.
Richard

alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

The 4-relay layout is shown in the previous thread too.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Here is the diagram, just in case!

Richard

woo
Minor Fan

Post by woo »

Here is the diagram, just in case!
Now that is a Neat Idea!

Robin
--Rocinante--
[img]http://www.woolley.me.uk/woo/moggieminor2.jpg[/img]
1962 2 Door 948cc
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Right just to dig this back up again, I spent an hour wiring 2 x 4 way relays, 2 x 5 way relays and a flasher unit together this morning. Then ripped out the broken DB10 and flasher unit then carefully soldered the new relay setup in. Went to test it and no flash :cry: Spent 2 hours checking the wiring diagram in the technical manual compared to the diagram I used to wire the relays. After a tea and smoke break I happened to glance at the flasher unit's wiring diagram and realised it hadn't been earthed :lol: DOH! Now the only thing I can't figure out is why I don't have a warning light on the dash anymore, The bulb is fine as I've tested it but still stumped! Never mind I'll have another in the morning see if I can't figure it out. I can change the back lights then for the L549's I have :D Oh and Sorry Jay, due to my wiring problem I didn't manage to get the lenses off, will do so tomorrow and run them to the post office Monday mornin' ;)
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

Lee,

Glad it worked. The warning light should be connected in exactly the same way as it was before. Either directly off the flasher unit, or across the left and right indicator circuits. If it is dash mounted it is more likely to be off the flasher unit.
Last edited by IslipMinor on Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

The little stalk mounted light has never worked, not at least since I've had it anyway. Someone has previously mounted a 1/2" green warning light to the right of the speedo, this was wired to both sides of the old tin flasher so I might try and set it up that way again. However having a browse around the net I've found some chrome and green warning lights with a direction arrow embossed on them so I may be drilling another hole on the opposite side and wiring them to each side individually.
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

OK after yesterdays wiring problems I have finally got them all sorted and working and even managed to fit the L549's this morning too :D I've also ordered 2 of these....

Just the green ones with the arrows, I'll mount 1 in the hole thats already there and add another hole on the other side for the left and take a spur off each sides indicators.

As an aside I love all the clicky clicky that goes on under the bonnet when the turn signals are on :lol: