Contact set up

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MTGOSS
MMOC Member: No

Post by MTGOSS »

Can anyone advise me of the best way to set up contacts,I admit to never having done it before and the only way i'm going to learn is by doing it myself. I have a standard 1098cc saloon. I thank you in advance, Martin.
newagetraveller
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by newagetraveller »

Normally you adjust the points at the same time as you clean or replace them and afterwards you readjust the ignition timing. This ignores all that.

You will need a feeler gauge of thickness 0.015 inch (15 thou.) and a flat-bladed screwdriver about 7 or 8 mm across. (Please excuse my mixed units.)

The distributor cap is held on by two clips, one on each side. Release them and push the cap over to one side. You may have to disconnect the lead going to the coil and some of the leads going to spark plugs to do this. If you do then remember where they came from.

Engage fourth gear and release the handbrake. If you push the car backwards and forwards you should see a four-lobed cam in the centre of the distributor going round. As this cam rotates it should push against a plastic contact causing the points to open and close. Move the cam until the points are open as far as they will go. Use the feeler gauge to measure the gap between the points which should be 0.015 in. If the gap is too small or too large then you will need to adjust the points.

Inside the distributor is a flat-headed screw which is used to lock the points. Unscrew it by about one half-turn. Also inside the distributor is a slot where a screwdriver blade can be inserted to adjust the gap between the points, turn it clockwise to decrease the gap and anticlockwise to increase the gap. When the gap is correct tighten the screw to lock the points and recheck that they are correct.

Replace the distributor cap and leads. Keep your fingers crossed. Please let us know how you get on.