1.3 Marina engine

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BarryHodge
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

1.3 Marina engine

Post by BarryHodge »

I suppose at my age I should know better,but I am in the process of fitting the 1300 marina engine into my 1968 2 door saloon called "Fay". I have got all the bits and pieces (I hope) the lump is in but their is a, I think, an oil catch can or breather on the front of the engine which looks as if it is going to catch on the fan blades, any ideas if I need it there and if not whats waiting for me behind it when I muller it off! Also on the manifold there is a stub which I assume would have been for a servo take off on the marina if so will it be ok to just plug that up? I know I'm asking loads but I am not the best for spannering and any help would be much appreciated
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

You can either change the timing chain cover for one without the breather but if you do that you have to add a tappet chest breather can or carefully cut enough off the can and braze a flat piece over the hole just cut enough to clear the fan blades though.

The servo vacuum pipe hole can just be plugged f your not using a servo.
BarryHodge
Minor Friendly

Post by BarryHodge »

Thank you Lee for a prompt reply,I will try cutting the can first and try to tig weld a plate over the rest, thanks again
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

You can either change the timing chain cover for one without the breather
Sorry to disagree Lee but that can lead to extra oil leaks as it will increase block pressure, the 2nd method is the right way.
any ideas if I need it there and if not whats waiting for me behind it when I muller it off!
You will probably find some wire gauze in there but it can just be removed, the other method that can give enough clearance is to flatten it down into a `D` shape using a block of wood and a hammer, it seems to vary from engine to engine on how much is needed.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Welung666 wrote:You can either change the timing chain cover for one without the breather but if you do that you have to add a tappet chest breather can
Try reading the whole sentence!!!!!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Try reading the whole sentence!!!!!
Whoops :oops: must get my eyes tested
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

:roll: :D :D

picky
Minor Addict

Post by picky »

might be easier to fit a spacer inbetween the fan and the water pump pulley, to push the blades further away from the engine and clear the breather.
1969 Four door Saloon Old English White 1275 with ported head and HS4 carb. Wolseley 1500 front brakes. Currently off the road with a leaky master cylinder!
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

picky wrote:might be easier to fit a spacer inbetween the fan and the water pump pulley, to push the blades further away from the engine and clear the breather.
Which would be too close to the radiator for comfort IMHO