Are we a commercial site now?????

Please post any problems you are having with the website here
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jonathon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by jonathon »

You agree not to post any commercial, advertising or business information, other than in the For Sale/Wanted section, where you agree that you are not a trader or business and are not acting for or on behalf of any member of the trade or business.

If we are going down the route of being a bit pedantic, can I suggest that the moderators please uphold this rule. We are often shown posts , where photos of panels are shown with company logos.Surely unsolicited advertising even if posted by a third party.

rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

a short note as to why my comments were edited would have been appreciated,
sorry mate, not got all day free to chat today -they were deited for breach of the rules 9, 10 and 11. Have been busy with the cars and am just off out to fetch some more Minor parts.
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Yes you have already said that. Don't think you really need 'all day', but message quite clearly understood. :roll:

simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Both online and paper magazines have their place. Working in IT I'm always striving to use the technology to reduce paperwork, but the fact remains that it's much more relaxing to lie in the bath and read a magazine than try to hold a laptop out of the water with one card and scroll down with another. Long live MM in its present form, and long live the web site, evolving over the years.
HarryMango
Minor Addict

Post by HarryMango »

[quote="Orkney"]maybe its time to seek out some more volunteers? certain people on here me <COUGH> used to do that for a living and would be only to pleased to offer advice to the site and teh comittee.
(and that by no means a slur on the way it is now please note on the appreciated time put in by those who do)

Please see page 6 of current "Minor Matters" where it states:-

"We are looking to encourage members interested in taking an active part in the running of the MMOC making themselves known to us so that we can continue to plan for the future"

I trust you have applied.

Rog
Orkney
Minor Legend

Post by Orkney »

Well i'll be ! no never saw that, have only scanned the latest one to be honest - repair manual much more important reading.
I'm more than happy to apply to help in any area I can be of use.
http://mog.myfreeforum.org
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Revised version in keeping with T and C's( I hope)

"In my opinion, the main issue over this recent 'trial', has been the lack of communication between those asking, those doing, and those receiving.

A simple, 'what do you think to this idea' or 'would there be any objection if we...'. would have been useful as this would would help to avoid 'conjecture' and 'conspiracy theories'.

Although I would not like to see advertising on every page of the message board ,I'm sure a system as I outlined above could be developed to satisfy both traders and club revenue.

Can we also please get away from this 'well the club is run by volunteers' syndrome.Volunteers are much appreciated,an efficient way of making clubs run effectively,and are often the backbone of a club.
Some aspects of owners clubs need more professional input, and to be honest a clubs 'members' deserve this.

I'd be interested to know if the trade had been consulted over their thoughts on advertising on the message board/club website, and if any conclusions were drawn here."

Might a suggestion be, to reduce the enormous cost of producing the club magazine, and an on line magazine be offered, with a similar or updated format,suitable for todays generation of internet users.
Those who prefer a printed copy could still receive it in the normal way. But this method could cut costs significantly, releasing vital funding for other aspects in the club.

The website could,if it decides to try and attract more trade adverts, offer a full page to individual traders who could use these as platforms to show new releases, product reviews, or 'this is who we are',' this is what we do'. This would allow a human face to be given to the trade, whom quite a few even on this message board view with apprehension, and cynicism.

:D :wink:

Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

jonathon wrote:Might a suggestion be, to reduce the enormous cost of producing the club magazine, and an on line magazine be offered, with a similar or updated format,suitable for todays generation of internet users.
Those who prefer a printed copy could still receive it in the normal way. But this method could cut costs significantly, releasing vital funding for other aspects in the club.
I have already made this suggestion Jonathon, and it is to be investigated.
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Good man !! :D :D

Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

Rest assured Jonathon, I do take on board the comments made by web users, or any other MM enthusiasts, and raise them at committee along with my own suggestions.
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Good man !! :D :D

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Well i'll be ! no never saw that, have only scanned the latest one to be honest - repair manual much more important reading.
I'm more than happy to apply to help in any area I can be of use.
Well done a volunteer :D I hope you register your interest soon.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

"f we are going down the route of being a bit pedantic, can I suggest that the moderators please uphold this rule. We are often shown posts , where photos of panels are shown with company logos.Surely unsolicited advertising even if posted by a third party.

"
No, its advertising by a person of their own business that is not allowed as they should be paying for this advertising. Another 3rd party is not advertising the company concerned, just recommending them saying they got good service from them. As to the pics like this one, above,
ESM are the only company I know of to have done such a good online catalogue with all the parts pictured and insertable into this forum. Its free to anyone to set up a simmilar on-line catalogue of parts pics for forum users to reference with their own logo on it. If you would do the same, i'd be just as happy to reference a JLH branded floor pan. But then you'd get people trying to buy them from you. Which might be a pain if you don't want to sell them.

Jonothan you've made a lot of suggestions as to how the club should run its business for someone who recently admitted he was not a member and declared he had no intention of joining. If you have recently joined, then welcome to the club! ;-)[/img]
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Bull Motif also have a pretty good on line catalogue but the pictures are not complete.
Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

simmitc wrote:Both online and paper magazines have their place. Working in IT I'm always striving to use the technology to reduce paperwork, but the fact remains that it's much more relaxing to lie in the bath and read a magazine than try to hold a laptop out of the water with one card and scroll down with another. Long live MM in its present form, and long live the web site, evolving over the years.
I personally believe that there is room for both, and it seems to me that there are a number of magazines already taking this route.
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

John, Ive been a member for a year now, so feel quite justified in my comments. We have sponsored Ray's trip to Africa,a trophy for the National Rally and a prize for Jubilee MOT. I do believe in actions as well as words and am keen to carry on in this vein. :D :wink:

chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

As I said, welcome to the club! ;-) :) I think however, its fine to use ESM branded pics to illustrate panels on this forum. Its not advertising as such, just information.
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

A belated thankyou John
I know, :D just felt a little victimised recently so the knee jerk reaction was to be a bit pedantic. Strop over now :D so normal service can be resumed. D'ya think I could apply for a position on the committee then John :o :o :lol: :lol: :roll: :wink:

Judge
Minor Legend

Post by Judge »

I knew I should have come to you to sponsor the LEO Run and raised money for charity. Perhaps next year as part of the Million Mile Challenge. Say 10 entrants doing 2,300 miles each = 23,000 miles. Even better with more entrants :D
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

are you asking me?? You'd be more than welcome to join the East Kent branch, but attending the meetings and rallies might be a bit far! ;-) As for the committee, not sure, you could try if you can spare the time. I'm a national member but the East kent branch is really what i consider to be the club.