Read 1 thread from 'post since last visit' and all are read?

Please post any problems you are having with the website here
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rob_Jennings
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Read 1 thread from 'post since last visit' and all are read?

Post by Rob_Jennings »

OK whats happening here?

It's getting really difficult to keep track of topics, or is it just me?

1) I sign in, follow the 'posts since last visit' link and up pop a dozen or so threads, I read one and then navigate back to posts since last visit and all are now gone? why is it marking them all read and emptying that list? it used to show even those i did read until I logged back in again or session expires.

2) Generally why cant it keep a permanent track of threads I have not read unless I have read them or ignore them in some way. Most other boards i use do this and it makes it much easier to keep up with logging in and out at different locations.... eg sign in at work read one or two from the list, sign in at home and the list is gone because its a new session, but I now have to try and find what I missed by not reading it all in one go.

Yes I can use the navigate back button in the browser if I don't end the session so that would be the first part solved but with the risk of double posts if you have made any. The back button does not solve the second issue as of course there is no history in a new browser at home/work

Please can we have a fix for whatever is now causing problem 1 (suspicion that adding the Google adverts today has caused this), and see if we can't do something to address problem 2

Cheers
Rob
Lizzy 1970 Morris Minor Traveller and Noah 1969 Morris Mini Traveller
ImageImage
Rob_Jennings
Minor Addict

Post by Rob_Jennings »

and not surprisingly this topic has already just disappeared from my post since last visit link and only 2 threads are there again now compared to the 4 before I happened to start this thread.

grrr
Rob
ImageImage
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Yup - happening to everyone. I'll email the boss.
Rob_Jennings
Minor Addict

Post by Rob_Jennings »

cheers

please mention the second point too, as if its possible to fix I think is would be of big benefit.
Rob
ImageImage
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

I did :D
a
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I think the answer is just use the back button on you browser or the back space key instead of going back to the posts since last visit link.
I do this and have never had the problem you describe.
I don't understand the risk of double posts wouldn't yet get some feeling of deja vu when you were writing the same thing again?
Rob_Jennings
Minor Addict

Post by Rob_Jennings »

if you make a post, and then use the back button to navigate back to the 'view post since last visit' you have effectively reloaded you posted page and there is a danger your browser may post the data again causing a double post on the board. Not always and not all browsers.

Still the list should persist and not be wiped out as it seems to be doing today. The second request is still valid I want to be able to quickly find all unread threads I did not read, not form when I last logged in, quite a different and more useful search if you use several computers or log in a few times in a day.
Rob
ImageImage
bpr81a
Minor Legend

Post by bpr81a »

I have no idea what's causing the problem. (or the Invalid session problem mentioned elsewhere- that happened to me too). Unlikely to be anything to do with the ads - they're put on after the BBS software has finished. I'll keep looking

Jon Rocke
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Thank you - if it's any clue, I'm getting 'invalid session' when I try to move a post.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I think the answer is just use the back button on you browser or the back space key instead of going back to the posts since last visit link
both methods should and normally do work fine for me. Today nothing is working well.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(