Moving a Car from the South Coast

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Derbyman
MMOC Member: No

Moving a Car from the South Coast

Post by Derbyman »

I am thinking of buying a Traveller from some one on the South Coast. It is a project car so cannot be driven. I don't have a tow bar so hiring a trailer is out the question. Does anybody have any suggestions of how I can get the car to Derby?
MoggyTech
Minor Legend

Post by MoggyTech »

A few options, fit a tow bar and hire a trailer, or hire a classic car transport company to move it for you, at a cost of £1.30 a mile give or take.

Note you cannot simply tow the car, it would need an MOT and be roadworthy to do that.
andrewwita
Minor Friendly

Post by andrewwita »

or you can do what i did yesterday to fetch my traveller from london to get it to my folks in west wales - find a friend who does have a tow hitch on their car or van - so you can put thing that are loose in the back of it - rent a trailer and then pay your friends fuel - it cost me in total £100 to get my car to my folks garage -round trip of 400 miles - £60 fuel £30 trailer rental and £10 for the severn bridge toll
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

There is a guy in Stevenage Herts who has a classic car recovery business and he is a member of the club just cant think of his name.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

his componey is called autoshift tel 01438365198
[sig]5641[/sig]
UOGMoggie
Minor Friendly

Post by UOGMoggie »

I know you said you did not have a towbar, but if you fit one, it's always worth checking the kerb weight of the towing car. I towed a Traveller on a 600kg trailer with a Peugeot estate and I realise now I exceeded the cars towing limit!
1970 Traveller
iwsmithy
Minor Friendly

Post by iwsmithy »

Last Minor I moved I put in the back of a Luton Transit Van.
Take the front and rear bumpers off and a Minor is 12 feet long - which made it a snug fit into the van.
It meant I could get the car back home on the Isle of Wight Ferry without paying the Ferry firm's extortionate trailer costs. (Mind you the van cost £116 return on the ferry, and that was the cheapest quote!)
Just an idea?
[img]http://mysite.orange.co.uk/minorsite-iw/images/1-picture1.jpg[/img][img]http://mysite.orange.co.uk/minorsite-iw/images/7-picture6.jpg?0.448427297884753[/img]
IWsmithy.
heathy12
Minor Fan

Post by heathy12 »

I used a courier I found on eBay to transport a car from East London to exeter for about £160 all in. Very good deal if you ask me!

Have you asked the seller about transportation at all, the minor before that one the guy who sold it to me did a deal on delivery!
JLH MORRIS MINOR RESTORATION & MODIFICATION