Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
chrisw
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Convertible queries

Post by chrisw »

My Traveller is getting a bit tired and I'm mulling over a change to a convertible for my next Minor. Not yet tried one and am wondering if they (original or converted) might suffer from a touch of scuttle shake? Presumably not a huge issue but is it detectable? Also, how easy is it to put hood up/down single-handed compared to say the Frogeye Sprite of my youth?
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

What is wrong with your traveller that makes it "tired"?
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

What is scuttle shake?
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
Orkney
Minor Legend

Post by Orkney »

What is scuttle shake?
thats when you go out on a weekend on a bender - wake up with a person who you deem to be a scuttler - and the very thought makes you shake

Perhaps chrisw means crabbing ?
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Scuttle shake...

Because the convertable doesnt have a solid roof its far more prone to flexing side to side... thats scuttle shake.

A conv. has diagonal plates spot welded to the corners of the dash and these do help. Its not an issue in our convertable
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
markattard
Minor Addict

Post by markattard »

Hood singlehandedly up or down in 30 secs (olympic specs) ..... drives better in good wheather
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Problem with convertible comes when the doors won't shut because the car is collapsing in the middle!
ImageImage
Willie
Minor Legend

hood

Post by Willie »

The hood is more involved than the sprite, it is a four seat convertible after all, but perfectly managable once you are familiar with it. The scuttle shake is no problem on my car, not as rigid as an MGB but Ok.
If you are looking at one then ensure that you jack it up to check that the doors still open and close ok.
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
chrisw
Minor Friendly

Convertible queries

Post by chrisw »

Thanks guys - helpful answers within 24 hours, much appreciated. You're a good bunch and this must be the best site on the web.
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

what's gonna happen with your traveller? :)

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

He's going to cut the top off it - and make it into a convertible. Isn't that what it says at the start - 'change to a convertible'???
ImageImage
Nadir
Minor Friendly

Post by Nadir »

bmcecosse wrote:He's going to cut the top off it - and make it into a convertible. Isn't that what it says at the start - 'change to a convertible'???
No. It says "I'm mulling over a change to a convertible for my next Minor"
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

it think that will cause some "scuttle shake" :)

chrisw
Minor Friendly

Convertible queries

Post by chrisw »

Might end up keeping the traveller though its got to the point where it needs time/money/foul language expending on it. It also has to live outside so at back of mind is always the timber rot worry. Still love 'em though but I guess a convertible has a character all of its own??
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

markattard wrote:Hood singlehandedly up or down in 30 secs (olympic specs) ..... drives better in good wheather
Indeed! Our trick on the Roses Run last year when driving in convoy, was to press on a bit to draw ahead of the car behind you, stop out out of sight round a corner, lower or raise the hood depending on the rain intensity, then set off before the car behind sees you stationary... And watch for the puzzled looks -"thought they had the hood up!" etc :D
Obviously didnt include messing about with press studs and the hood bag, but effective nonetheless.
If you've got reasonably long arms its just a case of turning round in the seat, grabbing the header rail, pulling it up and over and clamping it to the screen frame.
Scuttle shake is there a little when going over rough road, but its not really an issue.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!