Shipping cars, parts, panels etc from Australia

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
DaveBarry
MMOC Member: No

Shipping cars, parts, panels etc from Australia

Post by DaveBarry »

I don't know if anyone is interested but I ship 40ft. containers from Australia to England approximately twice per year, and have been doing so since 1978. I can offer MMOC members special rates for most things that they might buy on Ebay or elsewhere.

Most of the time I ship classic and vintage cars, tractors etc for my own collection, but when asked I have shipped all sorts of car spares, panels, and just about anything which is too big or too heavy for the postal system. We can land small but heavy parcels for around £30, things like larger panels,doors,fragile items such as windscreens etc around £50, (but cheaper for quantities). Engines and similar heavy items, around £100,space permitting.These charges include all fees, customs duty, VAT etc, but owners must collect from West Sussex. Cars are a different proposition and are charged by the linear foot; at present this works out at around £100 per linear foot plus whatever Customs want for duty and VAT etc, so something like a Morris Minor would cost in the region of £1200 to £1500 landed with all fees paid.

In Australia we have storage facilities in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane, and any goods for shipment would need to be moved to one or other of those locations.In Sydney we have recovery facilities for cars throughout the metropolitan area.

I should add that this is not a business, more of a hobby gone mad ! Charges are are a reflection of actual costs, with no "profit" involved.

Our next container is due to leave Sydney sometime in March; at present we have an Austin A70 ute and a Morris MO Oxford ute awaiting shipment, and we have room for one smallish vehicle and virtually any number of smaller parts.

If this is of interest please contact me through this column in the first instance.
ColinP
Minor Addict

Post by ColinP »

Hi Barry,

Just a thought - are you only able to ship car parts etc?

The reason I ask is that our sailing dinghy can have carbon fioble spars (if I can afford them!) - there's a company in Sydney that's about half the UK cost - but the shipping costs make it about the same as the UK suppliers.

We're looking for a boom (2.7 m long by anout 100mm square X section).
I suspect that other owners may want a full mast (6.4 metres long, should fit through a 4inch diameter hole).
If you can fit into the container - and are happy about this (the value is about $1000 AUS for he mast), I'll post on the Merlin Rocket forum and see if there's any interest.

Cheers,

Colin
badfelafel
Minor Addict

Post by badfelafel »

Could you ship some good weather over!!
Cheers!!!

Barry, Miriam, Ellie, Maia and the Morris
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

What's wrong with the weather - it was a lovely clear fresh day today. I went for a good walk out in the countryside - lovely!
And between today and tomorrow - that's the shortest day over, so we can all look forward to summer from now on!
ImageImage
DaveBarry

Post by DaveBarry »

Hi Colin.........the spars for your dinghy would not present too much of a problem in that they would sit on the floor underneath vehicles, and providing they were well wrapped I can't see any damage occuring.
A 40ft. container is actually 39ft. 6ins long inside, and the width is 7ft.6ins as the walls each side and each end are 3 ins. thick........plenty of room for the items you mention. Please get back to me if you wish to proceed further.

Best regards

Dave