Towing Points

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ray
MMOC Member: No

Towing Points

Post by ray »

After 30 trustworthy years in our ownership our 1961 moggie 1000 has had to be towed to a garage twice in the past few months. Neither time did the garage seem to know where best to secure a tow rope. Last time it went up into engine compartment and around engine mounting arm - not very clever I thought! PLEASE WHERE IS BEST PLACE TO FASTEN A TOW ROPE? :oops:
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gareth »

Make sure that they come with a truck complete with a towing dolly. If you use the AA &c. then when you telephone, make it clear that if the problem cannot be fixed by the roadside, then they will have to provide a flat-bed or towing dolly, because you have no towing eyes to which a rope may be attached.

Failing that, you could always try and weld an eye to one of the front chassis members...
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
ray

Post by ray »

Thanks Gareth. "LYD" and I are very grateful for your advice.
Gareth
Minor Legend

Post by Gareth »

If you're with the AA, as I am, you may have to make IT.. VERY... CLEAR... to the call centre operative that you will need a flatbed truck, if the worst comes. Two out of three times I've explained this to them, and the patrol has turned up with the standard-issue VW Transporter and a tow-rope.

Good luck - and fingers crossed you don't need the advice!!
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
fweddy
Minor Fan

Post by fweddy »

Some Morries have tow eyes, but another option is to put the rope under the vehicle then up into the engine bay beside the sump and over and down one of the four holes down each side. This way you are wrapped around the chassis leg.

In eaither case it is best to remove the front bumper so as to avoid damaging the numberplate backing and (in the case of a saloon, convertible, or traveller) the overriders with the rope as it turns.

So ultimately the dolly or flatbed is best option.
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/65427/Sig.jpg[/img]
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I have looped a tow rope around the front suspension tie bars, close to where they bolt into the chassis. I figured the chassis needs to be strong enough (same location as the towing eyes on commercial chassis) and that the tie bar takes the braking load, so should be ok with a tow rope.
Is that not recommended then? I've done that a few times without problems so far (but yes, the numberplate can get in the way on cornering).
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
fweddy
Minor Fan

Post by fweddy »

I can't see a problem with tying on where you mentioned Ray as long as it doesn't pull at it - But as there is a secure bolt through the chassis there it should be good and if tied up near the chassis it should work a charm.
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/65427/Sig.jpg[/img]
brixtonmorris
Minor Addict

Post by brixtonmorris »

if i had to use a rope i would use the tie bar if poss both of them at same time but not necessary. watch out for the front no plate when going around corners. get the rope right up the front near the chassis. the bar cant bend if the ropes around the bar near the chassis. i would never pass the rope through the engine bay dynamic loading is different , load should go through suspension not engine bay. suspension can take it, its designed too.
MrA.Series
Minor Fan
Location: Cambridge in term, otherwise Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire

Post by MrA.Series »

I argee with Ray and 'brixtonmorris', looping the rope around the suspention tye-rods has always been my dad's way of doing it, and he's certainly owned enough Minors to know!

Also, for general towing, make yourself up a solid-tow a-frame which can be bolted to your front bumper mounts. All you have to do is to remove the front bumper valence and spring bar, bolt the a-frame on instead, and tow the moggie like a trailer. Great for long journys.
Boris: 1968 2-Door Saloon
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/76758/Morris%20Minor/BorisThumbnail.JPG[/img]
(In background is Pixie: 1968 2-Door Saloon)
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

a solid-tow a-frame which can be bolted to your front bumper mounts
Not with all cars! - on some cars the bumper mounts would immediately pull out of the inner wings. On a good car it should be fine.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
brixtonmorris
Minor Addict

Post by brixtonmorris »

absolutly ray very important piece of information.
ive just returned from holiday in usa. its anazing what they pull on an a frame
bruce-d

make yourself an a frame

Post by bruce-d »

I was going to do just that last week to fetch a moggy from St Albans but on speaking to the local bobby about it he assured me that towing with an a frame is ellegal now. can anyone verify that as the transporter I used cost the earth even tho' it belonged to a friend. and I would like to fetch another in soon.
bruce Blod and Mafanwy