Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
67-2door
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

welding 1st project

Post by 67-2door »

Hi everyone.
I've just started restoring my first Minor, a 1967 2 door in Almond green. I have a couple of questions (maybe daft ones) that I need advice with.
I'm working to a fairly tight budget, so to cut costs where practicle I'm cutting out rot and making repair sections and butt welding them in (fairly badly at the moment as I'm out of practice with the mig!) rather than buying loads of new panels.
A friend of mine who works in fabrication has given me a load of offcuts of 0.8mm stainless steel sheet, is it possible to use this to make repair sections or is in not advisable to weld stainless to mild steel?
Also when the sections welded do you apply anti-rusting primer first or seam sealer? I'm not sure what order to apply them.
Thanks.
Neil.
kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

not sure but don't think you can weld stainless to mild,also if you have patches all over the car the value will be reduced.better to save up and buy replacement panels,and do a bit at a time.I also understand from my mot tester that patch repairs need to be seam welded all the way round to pass under the latest regs,but he informs me that if you take off an original panel and replace the whole with a new panel,the regs alow spot welding as in the orginal . So a lot less work involved.This is what he told me but I don't have the regs to hand to verify but he's been a tester for thirty odd years so I will take his word for it.
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

No, dont use stainless steel- it will cause the mild steel of the rest of the car its welded to to rust even faster by differential corrosion, the mild steel will be the anode that protects the stainless! You can buy zinc primer and brushable seam sealer from your local automotive paint factors.

ESM also sell both these.

Remove all rust from the area, then zinc prime, then seal seal, then topcoat.

Kennatt is right over both the advise to use whole panels and the welding acceptable for MOT.

Where two panels were spot welded together, you can plug weld these, but batch repairs must be seam welded. If your welding is a little messy at the moment due to lack of practise- then dress the weld up neatly with the grinder.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
67-2door
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by 67-2door »

I'll not use the stainless then thanks.
I was planning to buy the proper panels where it's safety critical or just too complicated to make repair sections, I've bought panels for the front flitch extensions, rear spring hangers and rear inner sill section.
The floorpan though is basically very good with only a little rot where it meets the toe panel at the front, the front of one sill and bottom of door hinge pillar need only localised repairs, I was planning to cut out the rot and seam weld small sections in here, the flitch panels and inner wing bowls need lots of small repairs and are looking a bit like a patchwork quilt, but I dont trust myself to replace these complete and get everything to line up again!
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

That sounds fair enough! I've done the same myself, where a panel is otherwise good, it makes sense to cut out the rot and butt weld a few sections in rathert than replace the whole thing.

As for patched areas, grind the welds down and zinc prime then seam seal beore painting and the patches will look less obvious and the repairs look a lot neater.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
polo2k
Minor Addict

Post by polo2k »

ive recently changed the liner in my MIG and it helps no end. its the tube that the welding rod goes through to the torch. Only cost me a fiver or so, bit of hassle to fit but the end result is well worth it! any wire feed problems/ Bird p** welds then consider this bit of maintenence
- Ash
  • [MONA] - 1963 4 door saloon
    [IGOR] - 1970 trav (In Surgery)
    [GOLFIE] - 2001 Golf GT TDi 200 (my daily "fix")
- The only way your guarenteed to fail, is never to try! -
Image Image Image
Click on the middle pic for progress!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Where did you get the new liner ??
ImageImage
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Thanks Alex!
ImageImage