Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
winger300
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Speaker placement

Post by winger300 »

I found that the hole behind the glove boxes makes a perfect place to mount some 6x9 speakers, facing down towards the from parcel shelf. The drivers side is quite tight, with the wiring loom, but that makes sure its held in firmly :)

The sound quality is made better by removing the cardboard glovebox liners, but the best thing is that they are out of sight, so no-one will know you have a stereo at all.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

some 6x9 speakers
This sounds like some serious output :P , can the parcel shelf cope with that amount of wattage 8)
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
lowedb
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by lowedb »

If you can, close up the rest of the holes underneath to make the dash into a box. Any holes will give an acoustic short circuit, that is the air can be pushed from the front to the back of the speaker, and affects the bass. Also with the speakers pointing down, the treble will be lost into the carpet and your toes.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

You will have to let us know the finished result and pictures if possible
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Cam

Post by Cam »

the space between the dash and parcel shelf i found was too small for my 6x9's else i would have done the same thing.
That's where I have my 6x9s mounted in MDF boxes that I made myself and they JUST fit, but I think I might prefer them elsewhere now.............maybe in the doors?
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

I have fitted 4" speakers in a PVCu sheet cut to the shape of the rear parcel shelf and covered in letherette material. (the rest of which I used as a cool gearstick gaiter). The sheet has to be slightly narrower than the shelf because the whole thing fits some distance above (because of the depth of the speakers) and the back seat leans back. No damage is done to the original shelf. It is a very tight fit but looks very subtle and original (to a thief anyway) and it's hidden appearence matches the head unit and is one less reason to break into the car.

Trouble is I never got round to fitting it and wiring it in and the car's sold now. (Note: must get round to altering my sig)
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
brit
Minor Friendly

Post by brit »

on minor mania they advise to put some round speakers in the inner arch cards *can't think of a way of explainin the area other then that* - either side of the parcel shelf. Having found some speakers that fit I find there is no way that any speakers won't magnetise to the body of the car and wondered if this would damaged the speakers and sound?. Need all the idea's I can get really on speakers and speaker placement as I have now obtained a minidisk player for my car. Cam the boxes you made where they angled towards the driver and passenger? as I was hoping to do this if possible :-?.
mrpickup
Minor Friendly

Post by mrpickup »

I managed to fit some 6x9 speakers in the doors in my pickup, they had to go low and forward, and I had to modify the bracing within the doors so not just a ten minute job. Sound quality was'nt too bad considering they were cheap speakers, but they kept getting booted as I or passenger got in or out of the car !