Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Phil-tq
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Washer jet position on SII

Post by Phil-tq »

At the point where I'm putting everything back after a restoration and respray of SII that I bought stripped down.

I've come to the screen wash jets and have a problem.

Firstly, I understand that any washer system may well have been an aftermarket addition and not fitted from new. However, they were obviously fitted at some point and I think are worth keeping. The problem is the positioning of the jets.

I've gone for the bottle hanging on the o/s inner wing and a manual pump screwed under the dash. The bonnet is original to the car and has holes for the jets. The problem is when the jets are fitted and a pipe attached, they are squashed by the bulkhead as the bonnet is closed. Someone has drilled holes in the lip that is the bulkhead/top panel join that runs the width of the bonnet, but the water pipe binds on it and I don't really want to make them bigger.

I guess the jets should be mounted on the body panel immediately in front of the screen? Do I reposition them and fill the holes in the bonnet with grommets or play with it for a little longer? Need ideas here!

Ideas as to the best remedy gratefully received!
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

I think either way will involve new holes, my one hole (two squirts) is in the bonnet forward enough to clear the bulkhead rubber seal.
Mogwai
Minor Addict

Post by Mogwai »

This had been done on mine as it had holes filled with grommets in the bonnet above the scuttle but the washer jets are further forward on the bonnet
[sig]7538[/sig]
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

My piping is all under the bonnet with the electric pump.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Why is the washer bottle fitted down on the O/S wing so that a head of water has to be pumped up. Best position is on the N/S bulkhead next to the electric washer. The wiper switch is replaced by a light switch and the washers are wired into the headlight terminal of the new switch.
Last edited by mike.perry on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Your right, its not the best place to mount the bottle you may well need a non-return valve to stop the fluid dropping back into the bottle!