High oil pressure - rebuilt engine

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
gavin.bell
MMOC Member: No

High oil pressure - rebuilt engine

Post by gavin.bell »

This is my first post, but can I just say this site has been my bible in the last couple of years.

I have all but finished rebuilding a 68 2 door Minor that I took apart in 1998 and has lived in various stages of dismantled arrangements in our last 3 homes!

The good news is that it is now running and almost ready for an MOT, but it is showing an oil pressure of almost 80.

The engine has been completely rebuilt.
rebored - new pistons and rings
refaced
crank reground - all new shells
new oil pump, cam shells, chain, lead free head, fuel pump, new gaskets, copper head gasket etc
Also new oil release spring and bullet (not sure propper name)

It sounds realy sweet and started on the button, once I REALISED i had wired the points wrongly and the coil was permenently shorted!

However I am getting a little white smoke at tickover and as I say what appears to be high oil pressure.

Having read your threads, I have taken off the rocker cover and as the engine warms am getting spitting of oil along the rocker, so assume oil is reaching there . (Hoiw much oil should I see leaking past the rockers?)

Given the years and stupid amount of money invested in this engine am concerned that I could have a big problem.

Am I just being paranoid, or could I have a blockage, or is there anything else I can check?

Engine has run for about 1.5 hours.

Oil is Halfords 20/50 heritage oil

Oil light on filter is not coming on, so assume no problem there.

Have taken oil pressure light switch off to add oil gauge. Interestingly it would go out once engine started, but then once I turned engine off and the turned ignition on, the light wasn't coming back on so assume some pressure remained or it was an old dodgy switch

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Cold oil on a freshly rebuilt engine will easily lead to 80 psi pressure - my Mini used to be 100 psi when cold. As it heats up - it will fall off to whatever setting the relief valve is giving. It will not get hot enough for that when idling - that will only happen when travelling a decent distance and giving it some 'stick'! If really worried - swap the new relief valve spring for the old one and see if it runs slightly lower.
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Fit a T piece then you can run the gauge and the warning light. No doubt you will be running the engine in carefully so you will be driving it gently. Make sure your oil pipes are in good condition and the connections are tight then 80psi is no problem. To some of us those pressures are fond memories.
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Yeah.... wish I had 80psi.... Mind though, I might next week :-)
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
Rob_Jennings
Minor Addict

Post by Rob_Jennings »

sounds good to me, my mini runs at 60-70 psi when hot and revving in top gear at idle pressure falls to about 10-15 when hot and about 40-50 cold
Rob
Lizzy 1970 Morris Minor Traveller and Noah 1969 Morris Mini Traveller
ImageImage
youngun
Minor Addict

Post by youngun »

Oil pressure isn't too important on a low revving simple engine like an A series, as long as the gauge says there's oil flowing there's no need to worry, the engine in my 1953 Ferguson TE20 has never been rebuilt and when properly warm it runs about 12-15 psi, its done that for the last 15 years or so and its never faulted!
80 psi is probably due to thick cold oil, go for a long drive and see what it says after that!
Ultimate rust cure for your moggy....paint it brown, at least that way you dont notice the rust as much!!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well -12/15 psi seems low and would be 'death' to an A series. Sure your gauge is reading ok YG ?
ImageImage