Lights, wot lights?

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Lights, wot lights?

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Tonight was the first time I have driven far on unlit, counrty roads in the lowlight and I just hadnt realised how WICK (gotta be a joke there somewere....) the lights are compared to the bigger brighter magnificent 7" sealed beam units!!! Anyway enough of my moan, I dont suppose it will be out on too many more trips until next year :cry:

I almost lost a wiper on the motorway, but thankfully it stayed in position while I pulled in and I even found the wee screw wedged between the top of the bonnet and the bulkhead, lucky! I may also have sourced a replacment carb from one of the guys on the run who ha a Series e Morris 8. Does anyone know if they are exactly the same?

Dave

Too many Minors so little time.....
stevey
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by stevey »

did my driving in the fast lane with the main beems on help any? gret adventure it was.

pgc520
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by pgc520 »

David
Bryan Gosling has some sealed beam units which give a much better light, but still look good.
Andrew
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The Morris 8 Series E uses an H1 carb , spec. AUC 452 and the Series MM (48-50) uses an H1 carb, spec AUC 505. The Series MM (51-53) also uses spec. AUC 452. The needle range is the same for all models. The carb. difference is probably the location of the float chamber.
If you will insist on driving a lowlight in the dark I suggest that you employ a man with a red flag or look for some period spotlights to mount on the front bumper (see 1948 Monte Carlo Rally photos). You could just leave the headlights on mainbeam, I don't suppose anyone will notice.
Last edited by mike.perry on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tortron
Minor Fan

Post by tortron »

i have both tyres (i think) of carbs. One is "longer" than the other. That is the butterfly side has a longer "duct"
- float chambers are the same
leyther8008
Minor Fan

Post by leyther8008 »

You can get bulbs with modern centres from Goffy
http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffybulbs.htm
Got them in mine but she never goes out in the dark!
I'll see you on the otherside'!