Tight Quarter Light Handles

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Tight Quarter Light Handles

Post by alanworland »

I managed to aquire a pair of new old stock quarter lights (stainless) which were still boxed which I have fitted to my MM. However, the operating handles are tight to turn, these were oiled as received and I have oiled them a couple of times since - but they still seem tight (well, tighter than I would like) it's as though the oil doesn't get right in where it's needed
Are they all tight? I realise I wouldn't want a loose handle but a bit looser would be nice!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The handles tend to work loose with age and indeed can become floppy. They appear to be a push fit onto a stud. As long as you can turn them and lock and unlock the quarterlights I wouldn't worry. It makes them harder to force open.
I normally open the drivers window, push the quarterlight closed and turn the handle (with the car stationary of course). This takes the strain off the handle
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

I must confess I have closed them this way too! I shall put oiling them them on the 500 mile service requirement!!