Early headlamp arrangement

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Cam
MMOC Member: No

Early headlamp arrangement

Post by Cam »

Does anyone know for sure what the correct headlamp arrangement is for the early lowlights?

I have heard that (for UK cars) only one headlamp was fitted with a twin filament bulb, so that both lamps were lit on main beam but one extinguished completely on dipped beam.

If this is so, then I can see a problem at MoT time when you turn up with one working headlamp! :lol:

Is this correct? Any ideas?
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

From you description above I would interpret it that both headlamps were on for dipped but only one had main beam, but the "other" dipped beam would stay on? Still could take some convincing at MOT time though !!!!
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The early system was for both lights to work on main beam, which was pretty dim compared to modern lights, and the n/s light was dipped and the o/s light extinguished. I think it was that way round. There was also the requirement for only one tail light. Lighting regulations were changed to double dipping headlights and two tail lights. This was retrospective legislation requiring all vehicles to be converted, although I can remember London Transport RT buses only had a tail light above the number plate. The new regulations came in well before MOTs were invented. Maybe somebody knows the date when the regulations changed
[sig]3580[/sig]
Cam

Post by Cam »

retrospective legislation
Those are the magic words Mike! :wink: You have answered my questions yet again! :D