Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
britab1967
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Clearance above axle

Post by britab1967 »

Hi

Can any of you good folkes have a quick gander under your Moggie and see if the domes in the rear floor actually perform a function.

I had thought that they were clearance for the dampers, but taking a quick look at my axle set-up, the dampers hang under the axle so don't affect the clearance.

Your comments would be appreciated, as then I would just add some ribs in the new floor and not bother with the domes.

Got me thinking as PSL184 said his saloons don't have the domes.

Brian
Knebworth 2011 National Rally
Sky and Molly

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

my 69 saloon has the 3 domes
the middle one for the diff
and the outer ones for the exhaust
Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

My '68 4-door has them too, but one of the outer ones has had a plate and filler bodge-job repair (not mine!) which almost fills the dome. Never had it knocked by the axle when it was running.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The dome is really only there to clear the hump in the exhaust system - and for neatness they put one on the other side too! But they will obviously add stiffness to what would otherwise be a very flappy panel.
ImageImage
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

neatness or for LHD moggies?
]
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Isn't the "hump" on both sides to clear the exhaust whether LHD or RHD? maybe wrong. Oh and diff of course.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
GeoffC
Minor Fan

Post by GeoffC »

I'd have thought the exhaust would be on the same side for both RHD and LHD models. I can see no reason why they'd swap it over. Perhaps it was designed to accommodate twin exhausts for the flat 4 engine?
Geoff
britab1967
Minor Fan

Post by britab1967 »

Ok, so they need to be incorporated in my repairs.
I've had a quick go at trying to form them and my metalforming skills aren't up to the job. :-?
My best bet is to make a couple out of trunkated cones, much easier to fabricate,, sorry if that offends the purists.
Knebworth 2011 National Rally
Sky and Molly

PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Had a better look at 2 of mine today as the weather was better for rolling around the floor !

One car definately doesn't have them and my guess is that being due to that area having been repaired in the past. One does have them although there is so much underseal, oil and crud present it is very difficult to see them. I've never noticed any adverse effects on the car without them so I guess your trunkated cones will work just fine :-)
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

I don't think it matter's if your car doesn't have them - unless you are planning to enter Concours. Most cars these days have had repairs and so they have been plated over, easier than fabricating the "humps". :lol:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Ahh - I forgot that LHD Morries have the export engine with the exhaust on the other side of the block! That would explain the need for exhaust clearance humps on both sides of the car!

Aye right !

If there are no humps - you will struggle to get the exhaust to fit - whichever side you decide to fit it.
ImageImage