Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alzax3
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

front door window sealing strip

Post by alzax3 »

I've just bought a set of the rubber 'touch glass lip' type window seals to replace the remnant shreds on the traveller - but I realise that I don't know how they should be trimmed at the ends (should they go over the stainless frame, butt against it, be neatly curved....?) - none of the cars here have a decent set and I've just spent a fruitless hour trawling the internet for an image .................
(NOBODY takes pictures of their doors when shutImage !) Obviously once cut that's it if it's wrong, so can someone please post a picture of a nicely fitted lip seal? Image
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

i would be inclined to cut them round the frame,
alzax3
Minor Fan

Post by alzax3 »

Probably so would I, but that's why I was after a photo.... :D
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

My 'touch glass seals' were the length of the window aperture - so did not require cutting. I did however finish the ends with a sealant (neutral cure silicone) which closes the gaps which are left!

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg17 ... l-rear.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg17 ... -front.jpg
alzax3
Minor Fan

Post by alzax3 »

That's what I wanted, thank you Alan! Mine are long enough to cover both frames, which is why I was asking in the first place - I'd already used the silicone trick on the van, as the seals it came with were short and left the gaps, I was just wondering whether I could avoid it on the traveller.
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

I just cut mine straight with the glass line. After fitting them I wondered if it would have been possible to cut the back off and leave the flap to cover the frame.

I think you should try it and see if it works - at worst you can trim them back afterwards.

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

I did cut mine so the overlapped the upright window frames but because they stand so proud of the glass it created an 's' on the rubber and a big gap for the majority of the rain (retreating across the glass whilst driving) to drop into. There's no substitute for carefully measuring the strip, keeping in mind the position of the slots and clips, and cutting with a junior hacksaw, or better still a 'Dremel' type high speed mini drill.
When it comes to fitting the clips, I used a pair of thin, long nose pliars to close the narrow neck of the clip then pushed this through the weather strip and offered this up to the door. With the glass lowered and the pliars held upside down you can use the fingers your free hand on the pivot of the pliars and pull the clips into the holes.
The front doors can be done very easily like this but, on four door cars, the rear windows prove to be more of a challenge as the glass doesn't drop far enough to get at all the holes easily.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

It's good to see this update being done. When I restored mine in the 70's and 80's here in the States, alternatives were few. For two cars I modified MGB seals to work and cut around the frame but it was of little value. The third one was done after I found Woolies and bought a generic strip. This one has failed but the MGB one are still working great. Sure beats the felt ones.
did I read correctly that some one offers strips ready to fit?
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

The ones I bought were ready to fit insomuch as the length was about right for a two door and the holes were in the right place.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

There is a trick for the four door rears.

If you take the door card off you will find that there is a buffer stop held in place with two bolts that stops the glass going too far down. If you remove this the glass goes right down so you can get the strip in easily!

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
Ondergard
Minor Fan

Re: front door window sealing strip

Post by Ondergard »

alzax3 wrote:I've just bought a set of the rubber 'touch glass lip' type window seals to replace the remnant shreds on the traveller - but I realise that I don't know how they should be trimmed at the ends (should they go over the stainless frame, butt against it, be neatly curved....?) - none of the cars here have a decent set and I've just spent a fruitless hour trawling the internet for an image .................
(NOBODY takes pictures of their doors when shutImage !) Obviously once cut that's it if it's wrong, so can someone please post a picture of a nicely fitted lip seal? Image
Where did you get these window seals from? The felt ones in Betsy have dropped inside the doors, and the windows won't stay up without wooden peg wedges! Sophisticated, eh?! :D :D
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Nice tip Roger.
I only fitted the front seals to my car (several years ago) and put off doing the rears because I couldn't face the faff of taking the rear windows out.
alzax3
Minor Fan

Post by alzax3 »

Thanks for all the info chaps - today's the day to do the job!

Ondergard - they came from Bull Motif, and for the Traveller, they're long enough to span both the stainless frames. (hence the question about trimming!) I think I'll be getting a set for the van very soon too, they'll be way too long for that.....
whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

I get my felt seals and the clips from
Creech Coachtrimming , they used to be in Anerley but a web seach find they are now in Bromley , Kent

regards
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

There was a photo of a car in another topic that showed the felt strips. I noticed that they were mounted with the plated metal part up. I mount them down so that they not so flashy and perhaps the metal will rust like the originals. What's the consenus on this issue?
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I think the touch glass window seals are much better than the original felt ones which only seem to be there to stop the glass rattling.
alzax3
Minor Fan

Post by alzax3 »

I ended up with quite a neat fitting once I was brave enough to start paring away at it, I'll post a couple of pics tomorrow!
alzax3
Minor Fan

Post by alzax3 »

Here's how it turned out:
I'm not responsible for the seal under the quarterlight! Obviously I'll still need to silicone that area :oops:
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

That is a nice neat finish...
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
capnblack
Minor Fan

Post by capnblack »

Any chance of a bit of info on how to fit the new seals? Preferably relevant to my pickup! I have had the new seals a while. Do I need some clips or something? Is there anything to replace the inner seals/felt gadgets? Ta, Cap'n
[sig]6683[/sig]