Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
twinkle
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

paint matches? or NOT.

Post by twinkle »

: :( Once again gang i turn to you for advise--Im having a real job getting the proper paint shade for the old girl, I know the code for her (wt04) and have tried local paint mixers-but they just dont seem to get the colour right, Ive tried the MORRIS MINOR CENTRE in Bath & they did seem to get the colour about right --but on re-ordering the colour was way out.I just dont seem to be able to get a good match,Is it me or has anyone of you come across the same problem?I know that paint will fade and sometimes discolour but it would be nice after preparing the car for a small paint job that somehow you could get the correct shade to match,Well thats got that of my chest over to you gang & a big thanks for all your good advice on other matters. Bill & Twinkle the Traveller. :wink:
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

That does not sound to clever Bill just as a matter of interest which colour is it.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
s.richardson
Minor Fan

Post by s.richardson »

ello bill ,if its spray cans u want ,ive just had some from MMparts centre 02085432264 in london, the fellow said it would be a good match and i was really pleased with the way my exterior sunvisor turned out,steve
twinkle
Minor Friendly

Post by twinkle »

Hello Kevin nice to hear from you ,Its -Snowberry White-Its proveing a bugger to match,A near match is V.W.Pastel White-not right but near.They tell me that the difference between Old English White & Snowberry is-Old English has a hint of red--Snowberry has a hint of Green,When you get the two together you can see the difference-The shades of White are unbelievable,If only someone could mix me a good match thenI would be a Happy man. Bill & Twinkle the Traveller. :wink:
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gareth »

Mixing paints at different times is always difficult. If you buy a lot, say for a respray, then it's sometimes a good idea to buy extra for touching up, and have it put in an aerosol, if you can... or so I'm told.

Could be a case of trial-and-error?
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
twinkle
Minor Friendly

Post by twinkle »

Hello Steve- Just got your message-thanks-will put that in the file-And Yes its spraycans ,Steve Any idea as to what the cost was? much abliged -Bill & Twinkle. :wink:
s.richardson
Minor Fan

Post by s.richardson »

well it was expensive,normally about £10 but he had run out of teal blue and had to order one at £18 for one can mad i know but ive got no patience,seeya mate,steve
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Halfrauds advertise a paint matching service. Now that sounded to me like they could match paint. In other words take in a glove box lid, in a super intelligent shade of the colour green, for example and hey presto super intelligent green paint in a can.
Er, not true as it turned out. What they actually offer is a paint buying service for over 30,000 (ish) standard vehicle colours. If your paint aint standard, you're stuffed.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
twinkle
Minor Friendly

Post by twinkle »

PEETEE---Thats what i mean i tried them some time ago and got the same answer-its no longer available-Bill and Twinkle. :cry:
_h_____
Minor Friendly

Post by _h_____ »

Try a local body shop, however be carefull taking a glove box as I bet it is a difference colour to the exterior, I took a front valance for my match on panels. It was reasonable, but not fantastic. The car is now multicoloured to the trained I.
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

PEETEE Theres a shop in hamble that mix up all the BMC colours..... teh only problem is i can't remember what it's called......
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
fweddy
Minor Fan

Post by fweddy »

I painted my inside with a new paint and then went back and ordered from the same code and the paint was so different so i took it back and apparently there are two Midori greens so they decided to tint to the other one (I took a panel sample) and it looked ok in the match but When painted on it is still quite different if you know what you are looking for - fortunatly the difference in between the inside and outside not panel to panel.
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/65427/Sig.jpg[/img]