Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Peetee
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Heater/soundproofing

Post by Peetee »

On the 948 heater is the front face of the unit (facing the bulkhead) an air intake? (the upper drum not the pipe leading down). I want to line the bulkhead with insulation but obviously dont want to block it.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Got the thing off now, although the bottom screws were very rusty. The base of the pipe has a flap that changes the air source from internal to external so i can go ahead and soundproof behind the heater.
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gareth »

Nice one! Here's hoping it works!! :D
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Me too. It's a hell of a messy job with all the cuts and shapes to cover the bulkhead.
Taking the heater off was a sound move, as the matrix was very dusty. I washed it through several times and each time the water went clear only to repeat the process a few minutes later with more muck coming out.
Once it's back in the car I will give the whole system one last going over with Radflush.
edd
Minor Friendly

Post by edd »

How good is the soundproofing. Ive got nothing at all on the bulhead at the moment though theres a coulple of push in plastic fixings which i assume wre from the old one.

Edd
[img]http://www.virginstudent.com/fileserver/upload/588/861/410/cars.jpg[/img]
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

The car's still being finished so I can't tell you yet. It's messy because of all the fibres that come off when you cut it to shape. Because it won't be covered by a carpet or anything else you must use the soundproofing with a rubberised backing otherwise any draft at all will send the fibres all around the car.
grant69
Minor Friendly

sound proofing

Post by grant69 »

I've always used a bitumenised underlay which I purchase from a car carpet reproduction mob. It only costs about $50 Aus to do a whole car but the results are stunning. I have used it in all my cars over the years. The best result has been in my F100 which was always very noisey as the engine is heavily worked and has a huge exhaust. Now with the windows up it is silent inside. Its very easy to work with as well as the bitumen helps it mold to the shape of the floor