Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
andrew.searston
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

headlining

Post by andrew.searston »

hi everyone :D
how easy is it to fit a 2 door saloon headlining???
can it be done with the back window in???
and whats the risk of ripping the headling whilst fitting it???
and one last thing how easy it it to fit the wires???
ive heard so many storys
thanks
andrew
[sig]9671[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Difficult job - and I think needs windows out to do a 'proper' job.
ImageImage
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Here's a useful thread regarding headlining fitting:

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/index.php?name=P ... ic&t=20065

I've got a new headlining in the garage waiting to be fitted but have been putting it off for the past 5 years :-?

Eric - 1971 Traveller
GeorgeHurst
Minor Addict

Post by GeorgeHurst »

Definitely need to take the rear screen out to do it as there are hooks for the lining that are covered by the rubber.

With regard to ripping, just take your time with it and don't force anything... I'd recommend allowing a day for it. You can also make the headlining a bit more supple and easier to fit by warming it up with a hairdryer.
[sig]3218[/sig]<br/>
'Morris' - 1966 1098cc 2dr salloon
Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

I just finished mine, a 2 door, a couple of weeks ago. I did it with the window in, but it was a warm day and the window rubber was quite new and pliable. It was still a challenge to the fingertips though to get the rear wire under the hooks.
The risk of ripping the headlining whilst fitting it? - It is more likely to rip the old one, the new ones are a bit more flexible (being new).
Fitting the wires? - Not hard. I found the old wires could be de-kinked quite easily and threading them into the new lining was not too bad. Some plastic tape over the ends of the wire helped them not to snag.
Overall, it is not as bad as I thought it would be. It took an afternoon and a bit more of the next day. If you take your time, being prepared to walk away and have a coffee/tea sometimes, you will probably actually enjoy the job. One really good thing to look forward to, apart from the nice new car look and smell of your ceiling, is the satisfaction of having done the job.

One of the 2 clips you will need to deal to and the tool I used.
<br>Image<br>

The hoops and plywood front bit
<br>Image<br>

The end of the hoop, old lining
<br>Image<br>

Have fun.

andrew.searston
Minor Addict

hi roni thats a great help
could you tell me what clip that is on the first pic and where it goes and how the wood goes??
ive never done one before so i dont know whats underneath and what to expect
and does anyone have any more pics???
[sig]9671[/sig]
Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

This pic might help, it explains it quite well. I think it came from - (http://www.morrisdownunder.com/forum/index.php). Thank you to the original poster.
<br>Image<br>
They were quite tight, but came out with a bit of effort. That is why I cut the old lining - to get a better grip on the plywood.They really snapped back into place too.

mrmorrisminor
Minor Fan

Post by mrmorrisminor »

I fitted mine in the 4 door with the rear window in place. I have fitted one in the past without the window and it is easier I will admit.
I found (even with an old tough window rubber) it was possible to carefully open out the hooks welded around the window frame, with a small screw driver to help removal and refitting or the rear wire.
As for the wood at the front, once you have located the clips, I used a hacksaw blade to spring them shut and guide them over the lip at the top of the screen.
And with regards to ripping.....I managed to fit a (good) second hand rooflining to the 4 door after first removing it from a scap car....without any ill effects! and I am VERY clumsy....so it IS possible :lol:

It did take a few hours and you may wish to warn the nieghbours if your temper is as bad as mine :o
https://www.facebook.com/minor1000

Life is too short to own only one Minor :D
Gulliver 1969 Traveller, Green Machine 1967 2 door, Roxy 1967 4 door, Delilah 1960 convertible, Pheonix 1958 4 door, Francis 1953 4 door, Marilyn 1949 lowlight (1970 pick up & 1971 van both awaiting restoration)

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54234
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=66053#p599269
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

I have a new headlining waiting to go in my car at some point.

So it seems it is possible to fit it with the rear window in so the question is overall which would be easier?:
1) Fitting the headlining with the window in place.
2) Removing the rear window, fitting the headlining then refitting the window.

I suppose it depends what condition your window rubber is in.
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

andrew.searston
Minor Addict

the rear window seal has been replaced not that long ago, so dont realy want to take it out again
[sig]9671[/sig]
mrmorrisminor
Minor Fan

Post by mrmorrisminor »

I would say.... from my own experience it would be easier to leave the window in place unless you are removing it for other reasons like replacing it with a heated one etc. I have struggled to put those saloon rear screens in my car and my brother's.....maybe I just have not got the nack right :-? but even with lots of soap, string and a new rubber it always ends up being a 2 man job :o
https://www.facebook.com/minor1000

Life is too short to own only one Minor :D
Gulliver 1969 Traveller, Green Machine 1967 2 door, Roxy 1967 4 door, Delilah 1960 convertible, Pheonix 1958 4 door, Francis 1953 4 door, Marilyn 1949 lowlight (1970 pick up & 1971 van both awaiting restoration)

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54234
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=66053#p599269