Canvas back pick up

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mugsy
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Canvas back pick up

Post by mugsy »

After nearly 3 years without it, finally collected our pick-up today. Had it's maiden voyage this morning. Headlights, stereo and fuel gauge packed in, but got from A to B without anything blowing up or dropping off ! - but hey ho everyone has teething problems ( but not usually for 3 years !)
Considering what it's put us through emotionally and financially - let the good times roll..... If you are starting, mid-way through, or nearly finished a project, hope our picture spurs you on. Will post more pre/post pics if anyone interested.[frame]Image[/frame]
ptitterington
Minor Fan

Re: Canvas back pick up

Post by ptitterington »

Looks lovely, please post some more pics. Is it black or just a dark picture.
Am thinking of getting mine in Maroon to match the Traveller.
Traveller rebuilt in 2007 by Charles Ware's Morris Minor Centre
Pickup Fully restored 2011 by Rich Legg

ImageImage

http://WWW.minor1000.com
http://www.morrisowners.co.uk/
pjh56
Minor Legend

Post by pjh56 »

The more I see these pick ups the more I like them and wouldn't mind one myself, I suppose it's seeing them when I was a child it just brings back fond memories.

My 1970 2 door saloon Trafalgar Blue
mugsy
Minor Friendly

Post by mugsy »

It's black, with a red interior. It's one of the hardest decisions ever choosing your colour, such an expensive mistake if you don't like .Will post more pics later this evening after mi tea !
mugsy
Minor Friendly

Post by mugsy »

Here are some more pictures of the restoration. As a bit of background info, we first went to look at it in 2004 hidden away in Dumfries. Unfortunately, the car was in a really poor state and the asking price was just too much for the work needed. We sadly walked away from it, but following 18 months of toil renovating our house my shopaholic wife secretly struck a deal in 2006 as a surprise for me ( luckily it was still available ). The car had lived in Dumfries all it's life and we are only the 2nd owner. As can be seen from the photos we stripped it down to its bare bones (that's the royal we) to see just what we were dealing with. It's had a disc brake conversion, upgraded to a 1275 engine, full re-spray (kind of obvious), red interior, chassis straightened, and just about every nut, bolt, screw and part replaced/restored. Apologies to all you purists out there, its obviously not an authentic restoration, but if we hadn't have taken the project on it would just be a pile of rust in Dumfries by now as the original owner wasn't looking to sell, he was just an eccentric friend of a friend who got to know how much we loved the Minor pick-up. Sorry, cocked up loading pics, so in a funny order. Happy to answer any questions ![frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Oh, is that all of the pictures I was really getting into this...
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
mr2daniel
Minor Friendly

Post by mr2daniel »

Hello there,
Is looking great,wel done,i love the black.
i have a question,on the restoration photo 3,4,5, i see that you have no coating ? What have you used to clean it?
Sandblasting?

Cheers Dan

mugsy
Minor Friendly

Post by mugsy »

Hi,
Believe it or not i rubbed 90% of the car down by hand. Hard to reach places where i couldn't reach had to be sand blasted. I was told blasting could put tiny imperfections in the metalwork, but for the amount of time it took and the fact the car had to have about 4 to 5 full days of filler primer work before receiving any base coats the effort wasn't worth it. Whilst kicking my heels yesterday as the car had to go to the garage for a few tweaks i watched an episode of American Hot Rod on the Quest channel,they were spraying a car black. Most of the show involved a lot of elbow grease and a lot of filler primer and even more wet & dry sandpaper before the car went near a spray booth. Black is the worst colour you can try to paint was the quote,couldn't agree more.
mr2daniel
Minor Friendly

Post by mr2daniel »

:D
Yes , i agree with you.my morris also needs to be painted black.i am afraid that will cost me lots of time and money,
but i am sure it s gone just fine :D .

thank you

dan

Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

Absolutely beautiful, Mugsy. I'd love to have a pickup myself -- I've never seen one Stateside, and they look so marvelous but still practical. What a great lot of elbow grease you've put into it! But the result certainly looks worth it! I agree with David -- couldn't we have a few more photos?
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

What a splendid job
Russell Harvey
Minor LCV Register Historian
Freelance Motoring Journalist
http://www.Minorlcvreg.co.uk

stevey
Minor Legend