1963 4-Door Morrie 1000 Project

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
oilypaws
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

1963 4-Door Morrie 1000 Project

Post by oilypaws »

This is my first attempt at car 'restoration' although I have restored motorbikes and boats before! I've also done a lot of my own mechanical work in the past.

So here is my Morrie as it was when I first saw it, sitting under a tree. I bought it for $500.

[frame]Image[/frame]

The bonuses of the deal:

*It drove - I took it for a test drive and then drove it back to a friends place (about 30 km on the open road) after I bought it. No brakes or electrical accessories, but who needs those? A lot of gearbox noise but no smoke.
*4 new tryres, although one had a puncture
*Spare set of wheels (with rather average tyres on them)
*Spare engine (condition unknown).
*The Registration (road tax) was behind but hadn't lapsed. That is great because under our system, if it lapses, you have to pay a big fee to get it re-registered. Since it is still current I have put it on-hold indefinitely and it doesn't cost anything until I get it back on the road. Also, the seller has to pay the amount owing up to the time of sale (I don't think he realised that...).
*The body is pretty tidy apart from a few rust patches in the corners, bits of the chassis, and the bottom of the doors. Not bad for 47 years old.

I have now totally stripped it and I've been scraping the rusty bits and treating them. I am also learning to weld...

Rather than re-post everything, here's a link to a blog which has pictures and info about my progress:

Blog: (most recent post at the top): http://bubblestheminor.livejournal.com/

Image gallery: http://pics.livejournal.com/bubblestheminor

Progress has been steady and I've learned a lot already (like British spanner sizes...)!

tingo
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1963 4-Door Morrie 1000 Project

Post by tingo »

Thanks for the pictures and well done on your restoration! Can you tell me more about your "triangle" please?
What sort of castor wheels have you used, and how did you tip the car up?
[sig]8105[/sig]