Wheel Colour Choice

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Kevin
MMOC Member: No

Wheel Colour Choice

Post by Kevin »

I know the original Minor Saloon`s had body coloured wheel rims, and then changed to Old English White and finally Dark Silver, does anyone know when the changeover occurred.
Currently I seem to have a couple of Old English White rims a really Bright White one and a Silverish one, now as my car is an Almond Green 65 I assume that Old English is correct for the year, but I am not sure if the Silver looks better, the Bright White is definately no good.
So what do you good listers think looks best on a Almond Green car because even if Old English is correct I am not sure and will just procastrinate the issue as I usually do :-? for ever and a day :roll:
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
salty_monk
Minor Fan

Post by salty_monk »

Old english is the best colour on any mog in my opinion regardless of age. I'm sure they should be silver on ours but I guess that's tough...!!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/salty_monk/Junk/Sig.jpg[/img][img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/salty_monk/Suzuki/thIMGP0432.jpg[/img]
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Should be OEW, and it looks best in my humble opinion.
Old english is the best colour on any mog
So that's not just me thinks that then! My 71 traffy blue saloon should have silver, but it's not my preffered choice.
I don't like the silver ones anyway - except maybe on an OEW car?
Body colour wheels I was never keen on, except on Red GPO vans.
Cam

Post by Cam »

So that's not just me thinks that then!
Nope!! I think OEW looks best too! (except on splitscreens - where I think body colour looks best).

The wheels seemed to be body colour from 1948 to 1956.
From 1956 to July 1960 there were different (contrasting) colours available.
In July 1960 Old English White was the ONLY wheel colour available until October 1967 where they changed over to dark silver and then light silver in Jun 1970 (but only on the Travellers).

That was the deal with the cars, anyway. The LCVs had different colour wheels from 1953 until 1956, then Aluminium painted wheels until 1968 where they changed to dark silver until the end of production.

So both my Traveller and 4-door SHOULD have silver wheels, but they have / are getting Old English White ones purely because they look better to me and more older fashioned which seems to be more in-keeping with the rest of the car!

So, Kevin, Old English White is both the best looking and the correct colour for your car so stick with it!!! I think that's one of the best combinations (Almond Green and OEW wheels/grille) but then like you I'm biased by having one in that colour combination! :lol:
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Chief »

oh dear we're all biased here :( Old English White and Almond Green for me also ;) I also preferred my white parcel shelf to go with my white glove boxes to go with my green and white seat covers to go with my green car with oew wheels. :lol: :D ;)
elainemr
Minor Friendly

Post by elainemr »

My moggy is also Almond Green and Old English White, although at the moment she has great splodges of white primer on her - not a pretty sight! :cry: I like the sound of green and white seat covers!
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Chief »

well to be honest they're not quite as white/off cream coloured as new ones would be ;)
fweddy
Minor Fan

Post by fweddy »

I've got Midori Green (close to UK Almond Green) and silver wheels - but I can't fancy white rims on a late commercial even tho I agree they lok fine on saloons. We never had OEW wheels here as we ceased production of the saloons in '62. I never grew up seeing them. Either body colour or silver for LCVs. (or shiney wheel trims).
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/65427/Sig.jpg[/img]
pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

Definitely OEW, Minerva currently has a random assortment of silvers (even though she's early '67) but they'll be changed when I get round to it (welding and MOT first I think).
Philip, Lynda and the cars.