1969 2 Door

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Morgen
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

1969 2 Door

Post by Morgen »

Well I've been unsure whether I should start a thread on this car for a while because I know there will be very long gaps between updates. Seems like a good idea though, it will help me to keep a log of things too. There is a long story behind this car. It's now in pretty bad condition and I have little spare time but hopefully I'll get it done. I may not have use of the garage it is in just now for too long so at the moment my first priority is to get it rolling (maybe this summer?!)

Short story: Car was bought for £100 out of the need for cheep family transport when I was 1. I 'decided' the car was mine at 6 and learned to drive in it (not on public roads!) at the age of 7. I then spent a few years trying to prevent if from being scraped and after 12 years of service it drastically failed an MOT and was taken of the road. At first we managed to get a parking space off the road at my sisters, then her neighbours got annoyed and just before I lost it I found someone who would let me keep it.... on their field. And there it was for around 10 years (I think). Over this time it did not exactly improve on it's failed MOT.

A while later my parents moved house and a few years later they built a garage so for the first time I had a garage to put it in. Moving it wasn't easy - it had been slightly vandalised (not just by the weather) and had a few bits stolen. They took most of the front suspension components and so part of the car ended up in contact with the grass for a couple of years. After they built the garage I was off to Uni elsewhere so could only work on it at the odd weekend - by the time I got to third year this was reduced to about once a month and in fourth year... well, not managed to work on it once since last summer.

It is now hanging up in the garage and I just hope it has not lost its shape. My first plan was just to put some mental in there and then work my way round doing it properly. I'm not professionally trained and just learned my way around it during a misspent youth with my head in a workshop manual. Anyway... here is 'Mog', taken by me at the ripe old age of 5.... (That rover behind took Mog's wing pretty much clean off once...) [frame]Image[/frame]
[sig]8033[/sig]
mmjosh
Minor Legend

Re: 1969 2 Door

Post by mmjosh »

very intresting information

Morgen
Minor Friendly

Post by Morgen »

Some pictures from sometime in 2006 when the car got a garage for the first time...

[sig]8033[/sig]
Morgen
Minor Friendly

Post by Morgen »

Lifting Mog.... steady as she goes....

[sig]8033[/sig]
Eeva

Post by Eeva »

Good luck on your project!
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Thats a clever way to lift it without having to buy any rollover frame, also leaves plenty of access to the spring mounts.

Good luck with the project, it will keep you busy for a wee while :o :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

Blimey. Good luck with your project! Makes my minor's condition when I got her look positively concourse :)
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Yes it is great to see someone saving a Minor that many would just scrap! It makes my next Minor project (4-door) look solid!

Keep up the good work. And keep us posted with the progress. Looks like you will be buying most of the available panels to get that car back on the road.

I like the roll-over spit idea, that is how the early cars were rust proofed and the Minor is designed to be supported this way, but I am concerned about the safety of the rope and ratchet strap holding it up. If I might suggest getting some strong box- section lengths (say 4mm thick, 40x40) and making an "A" frame each side to support the pole, and a section of box to join the two "A"s together underneath the car. I wouldn't like to be working on the car if the rope snaps!........
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage