Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Linda Greenway
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Colour chart for 1958 MM????

Post by Linda Greenway »

Anyone know where I can get a colour chart for my Morris Minor, 948 cc, registered in October 1958. It says it is grey in the log book but which grey?
PSL184
Minor Legend

Re: Colour chart for 1958 MM????

Post by PSL184 »

It will either be Clarenden Grey or Birch Grey. If you post a pic we could tell you exactly.
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
Linda Greenway
Minor Friendly

Post by Linda Greenway »

Thanks for reply but I´ll be able to put a pic on in a few days but have u got a colour chart? Was thinking about changing the colour but dunno if keeping original is better to increase the value, do u know?
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Hi Linda - welcome to the messageboard! :D

This thread has a picture of a clarendon grey car: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... endon+grey

And this is a birch grey one:

http://www.minorpartsofoxford.co.uk/Por ... %20404.jpg

As for whether keeping it the original colour will increase it's value, there are those that prefer their Minors to be completely original but plenty that don't. Personally I'd keep it original as it will probably appeal to more potential buyers, but a good quality paint job will increase the value of the car more than a cheap 'blow over'. If changing the colour you need to think about whether you are also going to paint the interior and inside the bonnet etc as if these don't match the exterior colour it may put potential buyers off. What colour did you have in mind? A standard Minor colour or something completely different?

(By the way I'll lock your other message as it is a duplicate post and it can get confusing if people respond to both)

Eric - 1971 Traveller
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Colour chart is the first item in this section - LOOK at it! If you spray a different colour - then you need to respray ALL the inside parts as well as the outside. Much easier to retain original colour.
ImageImage
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

bmcecosse wrote:Colour chart is the first item in this section - LOOK at it!
No need to shout! And it's a partial colour chart without clarendon or birch grey on it so it's not much use to Linda!

Eric - 1971 Traveller
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Oh dear -sorry! Hadn't looked at it for a while - certainly Clarendon grey was a very common/standard colour in 1958. Amazing the chart doesn't show it. Here's all the range for sale -with a colour swatch chart, sadly from 1963 on! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cellulose-Paint-B ... 24237_2985[/img][/frame]
ImageImage
Linda Greenway
Minor Friendly

Post by Linda Greenway »

Thanks Louise
It´s probably best I stick to original colour as the general opnion seems to go that way...
but I did fancy duck egg blue with chocolate brown interior :-?
Linda Greenway
Minor Friendly

Post by Linda Greenway »

Thanks for colour chart but yes, unfortunately it doesn´t cover the colours for the 1958 model...my other choice would have been cream because I believe in this time they also used that colour but I can´t seem to find a colour chart covering these models
Thanks anyway :roll:
Linda Greenway
Minor Friendly

Post by Linda Greenway »

Thanks for pics! It looks like it is probably the Birch grey from the pics you sent me... Thanks
Linda Greenway
Minor Friendly

Post by Linda Greenway »

Hi Louise

I'm back again.... I still haven't painted my car yet due to mechanic taking ages to mend gear box and nearly impossible to get parts!

But.... do you know where I can get the colour code or charts for the cream paint from 1958 because I think I'd prefer this colour rather than the original birch grey, although the general concensus seems to sway more to the original colour...?

If I try and keep it the original colours of the same year would that keep or increase the value?

Thanks for your patience
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Old English White is WT3 (cream)

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Hi Linda,

The paint code for Cream paint is YL5 - it was discontinued in April 1958. Pale Ivory was used from April 1958 to February 1959 - paint code YL1. Colours are a personal preference so it's difficult to say whether the colour would effect the future value, although as mentioned earlier keeping it original may appeal to more potential buyers. Re-sprays aren't cheap so you'll have to weigh up the pros and cons of having to change the colour inside the car, under the bonnet etc if you decide not to go with the original colour, but there's no guarantee that the car would increase in value either way. A good re-spray may well cost more than the car is worth and you'll be unlikely to recoup the cost when you sell. At the end of the day it's your car so do what you feel happy with! :D

Eric - 1971 Traveller
Linda Greenway
Minor Friendly

Post by Linda Greenway »

Thanks Louise

My car is 1958 model from October which would be better the pale ivory colour YL1

Help please.... again

Can't find this colour as guys here in spain who are respraying car can only find YL5 or YL12 which is pale primrose

Has anyone got a pic of pale ivory car from 1958?

Or the colour charts which I could present to the respray garage?

thanks again