Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

servo's

Post by ampwhu »

evening gents. i want to fit a servo to the car. i intend to fit one that doesn't have it's own reseviour. meaning a remote servo???

now i can plumb the brake pipes ok, but whats the best way of connecting it to the inlet manifold? or can i buy a manifold with the adaptor already there.

thanks
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: servo's

Post by bmcecosse »

Servo doesn't make the brakes any better - if they are in good condition, working as they should - they will lock the wheels easily. These cars were driven by 'little old ladies' - they really don't need a servo! Best plan would be a complete brake overhaul - so thye are in tip-top condition. But if you insist - then yes you must either drill/tap the existing manifold or fit one from a Mini that has the vacuum tapping ready made. Be aware that you will need to re-arrange the piping to the rear brakes to take the feed from the front section of the master cylinder, so both front and rear brakes are through the servo.
ImageImage
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Personally I would only fit a servo to a car with discs. Drum's with assistance are very sharp in opperation and I'd say avoid at all costs. BM's points are valid unless applied to discs :wink: :D

ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

thanks ror the possitive and negitive replys.

i do indeed have discs and won't to fit a servo. a mini manifold it shall be.

thanks.
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Don't forget to servo fronts and rears, header tank required along with modded m/c. :D

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I assume - if you already have the discs ( :roll: ) that the master cylinder has been modified and a remote reservoir fitted? Yes - a servo is all part of the hassle and expense of fitting discs.......... :wink:
ImageImage