Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
fussyoldfart
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

kick plates/step plates

Post by fussyoldfart »

My Minor experience goes back more years than I care to count but I have just bought a fairly "new" one, a 1966/67 two door.

I have questions about the kick plates. All of the older cars in my experience had aluminum kick plates, unpainted. The car I have just bought has painted (body colour) kick plates and they are steel. When was this change made? Should they be body colour? Are the stainless steel replacement parts that are offered just dress-up items or was stainless used at some point?

The car has not been delivered yet but I am busy shopping for the things I know, or think I know, will be needed.

Darrell McDonald[frame]Image[/frame]

PS - That's not me in the picture but that IS my little dog. Every time the Morris door was opened she would jump right in so I guess it's her car.

DM
Fussyoldfart in Welland Ontario.

PSL184
Minor Legend

Re: kick plates/step plates

Post by PSL184 »

I'm not sure about early cars but all the later ones I've owned aere all painted steel. the stainless items are purely dress up parts but do look quite smart.....
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

Is that your Model T in the background?
Talk slow, think fast!
WPR678B
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by WPR678B »

fussyoldfart wrote: All of the older cars in my experience had aluminum kick plates, unpainted.
Only the VERY early cars had aluminium kick plates. I think they were changed to painted steel around 1951. :wink:

marcusthemoose
Minor Fan

Post by marcusthemoose »

series MM s had aluminium kick plates, but to save money, and i think something to do with the korean war, BMC (or nuffield) changed them to pressed steel, painted silver. i am not aware that they were ever painted body colour from factory, but i await correction
fussyoldfart
Minor Fan

Post by fussyoldfart »

I think the best reply I had was on another private conversation but I'm told that, yes, they went to steel rather than aluminum but they were painted silver! That's why I thought they were all aluminum and also why the body colour paint on the '67 Minor I am buying just jumped at me as wrong.

Thank you, all who helped with this.

Darrell
Fussyoldfart in Welland Ontario.