rebodying traveller

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tonup
MMOC Member: No

rebodying traveller

Post by tonup »

Hi I am a new member from the Antipodes (Australia) .
Bit of background.. had a 48 minor, slowest thing on 4 wheels, a 54 2 door, and a 55 panel van, had the van for 15 years so got to know them from the bottom up. Have a shed full of parts.
Currently have a 60 or 2 door and a similar vintage Traveller.
I am hoping someone on here can give me some advice.
The traveller was a private import, all travellers were and therefore had run about on English salty winter roads for a few years before migrating, and suffers very badly from rot in the floor and chassis, to the extent that I don't believe it can be resurrected at as realistic cost, certainly all the parts can be obtained but by the time the extortionate postage is paid from the UK plus the cost of the items it is just not worth it.
The total underneath/floor is rusted out from the front crossmember to the chassis rails to the rear bumper mounts, there is not even any metal left behind the fuel tank.
The 2 door is quite good I have replaced the front chassis rails and crossmember and welded up various rusty bits in the underneath the doors and flitch panels, so it is virtually ready for the re painting preparation.
I am considering cutting the door pillars at the top and bottom carefully so the welded joint is intact, from the traveller, then cutting the door pillars and the panelling back from the pillars to the rear of the 2 door, leaving the roof in place to enable body alignment to be maintained without the bother of putting a lot of bracing in that would have to be removed and made good later.
Then welding the traveller door pillars in, then carefully measure the roof from the windscreen and pillars back and cut the 2 door across and making a lip to marry the alloy panel that makes up the rear of the roof panel.
I think the body alignment would still be good once the pillars are in place, as that is all the traveller body has anyway, although obviously the woodwork adds the necessary bracing for on road use.
The alternative is to cut both roofs (rooves)?? off at the windscreen pillars and door pillars and transfer the traveller roof to the 2 door body, which would entail a lot of body bracing and such, and welding the windscreen pillars is quite a technical task and the licensing people don't like amateurs doing it.
I was wondering if anyone over there had done anything similar, and what you all think of the idea.
Also I was wondering if the traveller has any additional body bracing compared with the sedan, which I would have to allow for.
that's my latest mad scheme, I await your comments!
thanks.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: rebodying traveller

Post by bmcecosse »

Welcome to the Forum! It's a lot of work - but no reason it wouldn't be feasible! I would cut across the saloon roof - you should be able to get good measurements etc when you remove the Trav alloy roof from the old car. As far as I know - the Travs supposedly had 'double sills' fitted to give a little extra strength - I'm sure you can use your own judgment on that - and add some strengthening as you go along. If you are doing this to a 2 door shell - the doors are the same and the door pillar should be in the same place - however I'm guessing the Trav pillar may be a different shape - to take the timber frame ? You will of course need to use Traveller inner and outer rear wings - perhaps these are still in fair shape on the old car ? Good luck with the project - please please - take many pictures as you go along and keep us informed!
ImageImage
tonup

Post by tonup »

well i have been looking at the restorations section, and have to say some of the work some of your guys have done is breathtaking and some of the start offs have been, well, POS!
I have been suitably embarrassed my traveller is not as bad as some of yours.
I am now thinking of finishing the 2 door and selling it to finance the rebuild on the traveller, and keeping the traveller as a basis.
I have most of the gear to do the job just need to goma.
will also try to do some photos
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well - two cars are better than one! Perhaps you can 'make ' some of the panels you need - rather than expensively importing them from UK.
ImageImage
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

With a grinder and a welder, all sorts of things are possible.
don58van
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by don58van »

Hi tonup and Roy

I recently brought out some Trav panels from one of the major UK suppliers. It was quick (1 week) and not-too-expensive.

tonup -- PM me if you want some info about UK suppliers and freight costs. I hope your project goes well.

Cheers
Don in Oz