Lexus Moggy!

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
downhillhotrod
MMOC Member: No

Lexus Moggy!

Post by downhillhotrod »

Hi Guys,

I have just this day bought a '67 moggy which I shall be fitting a Lexus 4ltr quad cam engine.

Im capable of doing all my own work but was just wondering what front susspension conversions or mods are out there as I would like to keep the original suspension pickups as much as possible, if possible.

Thanks in advance guys! :-)
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Re: Lexus Moggy!

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Sounds fascinating, any particular reason for that engine?
Jlh minor are the main supplier and producer of major mods. The coil over kit might be what your after?
http://www.jlhmorrisminors.co.uk/store/ ... at&catId=2
___Anne___

chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

i agree heartily with what Alex'n'Anne said, but i include a big fat 'welcome' aswell...

WELCOME!

quad cam eh? would that be a V8 then?
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

The Lexus V8 is quite a wide engine (even for a V8), but is super smooth and provides plenty of power (240 - 290hp depending on model). It can I believe be mated to a manual box if required. I don't think you would be able to retain original suspension unless you relocated the steering rack. You have a fair bit of cutting ahead of you :D Good luck.
I run an LS400 mk 4 as my daily 8)

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Most v8's seem to be on full or at least mostly custom chassis. It would be interesting to see if it was possible to keep the steering rack and suspension though. This minor is still on standard running gear, but is a full chassis, and it has seemed to integrated much of the original minor steering and uprights. http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36283
___Anne___

rv8
Minor Fan

Post by rv8 »

but it runs a standard engine,not a v8 :roll:
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Steering rack is the problem. However, there is a Minor in the states with a small block ford, running standard suspension AND BRAKES :o (not even Wolseley :D ) - steering rack has been moved though.
My blue Minor has an integral chassis rather than a full rolling chassis - I could actually bolt on a complete minor rear axle if I wished (after I removed the Jag irs).

pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
Innovator
Minor Fan

Post by Innovator »

The rack can always be moved to the front (by swopping the uprights left to right and tweaking the arms to correct the ackerman) and the engine set back.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

(by swopping the uprights left to right and tweaking the arms to correct the ackerman)
If you used the midget version it's already done that way.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
fozwanger
Minor Friendly

Post by fozwanger »

Personally, I don't think it'll work. They are 260+ hp depending oin year and the front end won't be strong enough, nor will the rear. I hope that you are running a 4 bar with panhard rod and at least a volvo 240 axle?
Strut front (modified capri) would be good or an IFS of another motor (jag, P100). Then there's the chassis, it'll need some mega bracing to handle that sort ot power and torque, probably easier to build a new one.
I had a twin turbo'd V8 morris with a braced basic chassis (4 x 2 rails) and it started to pull itself apart!!! Big numbers sound good (300hp) but you will need to do a hell of a lot of work to make it safe.
I'm putting a twin turbo'd TVR motor in mine, easiest route is to use a rolling tvr and stretch the body.
Nice chioce of enginer tho, there IS NOT and bolt on manual conversion (looked into this a great length) although you can get kits from Australia or Thor racing but they weigh in at well over a grand a time.
Anything I can help you with then let me know.
:D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The rack moved to front etc will be interesting - hard to remember to turn left when you want the car to go right....... It would NEED to be a Spridget rack - or drive from the LH seat of course.
ImageImage
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Having been round the Haynes track in a JLH supercharged Zetec powered monocoque Minor, I'd have to say that you can go a long way with some additional shell reinforcement...
A big V* however doesn't sound like a good donor unless uou go for a good matching chassis.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

rayofleamington wrote:Having been round the Haynes track in a JLH supercharged Zetec powered monocoque Minor, I'd have to say that you can go a long way with some additional shell reinforcement...
Couldn't agree more Ray that was quite a quick car :o
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
meerkat
Minor Friendly

Post by meerkat »

I've just started a 3.9 conversion I will be using coil overs on mine, as far as the steering rack goes, it depends on what hubs you are using, I'm using jag 4 pots with vented drilled discs and these have the tack rod ends to the front of the hubso the steering rack will sit in front just below the engine. I dont know what the dimensions are or your engine but it must be huge so take it as read that the bulkhead with all it's suspension will have to be cut away. I dont want to teach granny how to suck eggs so I wont prattle on but there are loads of issues to tackle so I will put what I'm planning to do to mine on my page, good luck.
Don't let the dream stealers get you