Project "Madelaine" 1970 4-door saloon!

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dunketh
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Project "Madelaine" 1970 4-door saloon!

Post by dunketh »

Updates?
:lol:

I must admit I'm insanely jealous of your bodywork skills. I've yet to wield a welder in anger but threads like these make me want to learn - and learn well.

Car will be good as new when finished. 8)
What would Macgyver do..?
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Thanks for asking! I've actually been working on another car. I'm taking photo's and will show the work on that if the customer allows. As for my skills, (like Taupe did years ago), after learning to weld and make some repairs (after putting my Traveller back on the road) I went on a vehicle body restoration night course to learn the skills.

You will learn how to Mig weld, gas weld and make repair sections and how to repair panels, prep and paintwork. I've been going back as an advanced student for years taking in bits of Morris Minor and other cars to college to work on, learning from the instructors all the time.

My convertible which I now do weddings with was my second restoration, after the Traveller.

Will update here soon, I won't forget!

Dunketh- go on a restoration course if there is one on your area. They are great fun and will give you the skills needed.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
nslocomotives2
Minor Friendly

Post by nslocomotives2 »

Hi John,

Have you made any further progress on this car, my four door is in a very similar state to yours, and i too need to repair that swage bellow the rear window, and im wondering how you got on with yours...

Nigel.
mad-4-moggywhite-1
Minor Fan

Post by mad-4-moggywhite-1 »

I love the name simply because it is my name well I am a Madeleine as oppose to a Madelaine why is she named that? I am just curious? Also your last post was ages ago how is she looking now?
Madeleine. (or Maddie as everyone calls me except my mum).
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

Mum's always use your full name. My old mum is the only person that has called me Stephen for the last 40 years!
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

Correction...SWMBO gives me my full name if she's really cross with me. Not often,thankfully,
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

nslocomotives2 wrote:Hi John,

Have you made any further progress on this car, my four door is in a very similar state to yours, and i too need to repair that swage bellow the rear window, and im wondering how you got on with yours...

Nigel.
I made the swage repair sections at college (restoration course) but sadly Madelaine has been sitting in the corner of my workshop since late 2011 as I have been restoring cars as a small business since then and have been too busy to do much on her, in between restoring other people's cars and doing weddings in my convertible.

However, watch this space!!! Madelaine will rise again, being a 4-door and white she would make a great bridesmaids car when restored.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage