Headlight Visors

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
scotwood59
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Headlight Visors

Post by scotwood59 »

Hi,

Does anyone know if chrome headlight visors would have been an original feature of a '68?

I can't make my mind up if I like them. If they were not original then I am tempted to take them off!
George
faversham999
Minor Fan

Re: Headlight Visors

Post by faversham999 »

no the are extras like knives sticking out in front of the car

scotwood59
Minor Friendly

Post by scotwood59 »

Thankyou. :)

I have never seen them before on a Minor. I can remove them without feeling guilty now!!!
George
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Personal choice whether you have/like them as with all accessories! :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
David Sharp
Minor Friendly

Post by David Sharp »

Their original purpose many years ago was to prevent headlamp glare in fog. Of course,we just don't get the old "pea-soupers" any more so their purpose nowadays is merely decorative or to maim pedestrians!
Arnie
Minor Friendly

Post by Arnie »

David Sharp wrote:Their original purpose many years ago was to prevent headlamp glare in fog. Of course,we just don't get the old "pea-soupers" any more so their purpose nowadays is merely decorative or to maim pedestrians!
They actually had a USE, i'm stunned (you learn something new every day). Other uses include reducing fuel economy though increased air resistance and corroding rapidly.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Very dangerous - if I was an MOT inspector I would fail the car on 'sharp edges'..... Take them off and throw them away - silliest things I have ever seen..... :roll:
ImageImage
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

Now where is that...

There it is!
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Matthew - now you'll be one can down on the food for the National :wink: BTW did you know you can get sausages in tins? :lol:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
lockupchap
Minor Friendly

Post by lockupchap »

Can anyone think of a single vehicle supplied with them from new in the 1950s or 1960s? The only example I can think of/recall was some motorhome converters of the Bedford CA including them as part of the conversion.
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gareth »

Many cars were designed with built-in cowls over the headlamps, rather than having the lamps set simply in the wings. I'm thinking Fords and Triumphs although the BMC Farinas had a similar front-end treatment. I think it was more for styling than glar reduction in fog.

Aftermarket headlamp peaks were just that - aftermarket. Some are beter made than others, being of stainless steel, and the best have the edges rolled under so they are not sharp.

My view is that if you're going to get hit by a motor car, it really doesn't matter if there is a peak ver the headlamp - the bumpers and over-riders (if fitted) will have broken your lower leg before you get maimed by the rest!

Phyllis wears headlamp peaks. She likes them. ::D: And yes, they do help cut down back-glare from drizzle, fog, snow &c. Although of conditions are bad enough to cause glare, you need fog lamps.
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Apparently you get less mpg with them on i read somewhere :o
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

To the original poster.

With the car stationary, line up a child with the tip of a visor/peak -- reach your own conclusion.

If anyone must have useless accessories, perhaps they could try coloured plastic streamers on the door handles -- they are less likely to cause harm to humans.

I am not setting out to offend anyone -- I just don't want people to be complacent about putting knives on the front of their vehicles.

It does make a difference what the bodies of pedestrians, cyclists, etc come into contact with when they are struck by cars. In crash testing of vehicles, cars they are not only rated for protection of occupants, they are also given 'aggressivity' scores for how dangerous they are to vulnerable road users. Here in Australia, there are specifications for the minimum radius of protrusions from the front of vehicles.

Cheers
Don
faversham999
Minor Fan

Post by faversham999 »

Uk has minimum radius of protrusions but thats for new cars , not accessories added by the owner

morrisbetsy
Minor Friendly

Post by morrisbetsy »

i looked at a pair of these and they didnt have particually sharp edges - and in the event of an accident probably no more dangerous than the AA badge, bonnet handle and other pertruding metal parts on the car. maybe there are different types available now. Just my two-penneth from another viewpoint!