How to back light bakerlite switches?????

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
akuchanny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

How to back light bakerlite switches?????

Post by akuchanny »

Hi all I have been trying to think of a way for ages to route out or cut out the letter shapes on my 61 saloons bakerlite control knobs so I can back light them, I have already sorted how to get the cables in the controls, by small channels for the small gauge wire in the stalks, then all connected as the other instruments to the light switchs first position, I also have some blue/ White small LEDs to fit under the knobs to provide light, I just need to find a way of cutting just the letters out of the bakerlite.

My first experiment a year or so ago, was a total disaster, as I was working on a hazard switch (making it from an old wiper switch) it was going to be a few lines cut into the warning triangle style and a red led shining through the gaps, it ended as a. Hole of no descernable use at all, something I really want to avoid doing again.

Any help on how to cut the letters would be great as I want the mod to look almost as if the factory intended it to be that way.

Tried this question before but only had one response and it was not very positive.

I'm running a 61' 2 door saloon, with a alternator, heated front and rear screens, newton commercial front seast, gas telescopic dampers all round, a anti roll bar, front disks, and halogens. Also have a Blauplunkt dab head unit hidden in the passenger dash with 3 12 volt inputs, and a 2000 watt amp hidden under the rear seat, running four speakers, and finally not forgetting the gas strut that lifts the boot lid for me.

The next on the wish list is full sound proofing, a 1300/1340 supercharged a series, with a five speed box, wellers, or centre lines, and a set of banded steels, larger bore exhaust, temp and oil gauge but placed on convertible like corner dash embellishers, rev counter in a pod, new speakers, a underseat sub, a wired in sat nav in the drivers glove box, and a Bluetooth hands free kit. Then I can think about a respray.

Any help with ideas for the switches would be great.
Last edited by akuchanny on Tue May 24, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akuchanny
61' modified minor
71' Reliant Scimitar
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: How to back light bakerlite switches?????

Post by bmcecosse »

Bakelite - surely.... :roll:
ImageImage
akuchanny
Minor Fan

Post by akuchanny »

Sorry my spelling has never been a strong point :oops:
Akuchanny
61' modified minor
71' Reliant Scimitar
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

considering some of the spelling on this site at least i could understand what you were asking.. and no my spelling is not perfect :oops:
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

As this is a duplicate thread I'll lock this one to avoid confusion. Responses already posted here have been merged with the original thread which is here: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=39009

Eric - 1971 Traveller