extended brake drums with extened studs

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Aidensfieldpostie
MMOC Member: No

extended brake drums with extened studs

Post by Aidensfieldpostie »

[Hi does anyone have any idea where i can get extended brake drums for my moggie,I will also need the studs extended as when I try to put my wide wheels on there is not enough of the stud showing to even get my wheel nuts on,I would even settle for just extending the studs themselves if anyone can enlighten me on the matter,hope someone out there can help me out with this problem,many thanks in anticipation.
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Re: extended brake drums with extened studs

Post by chrisryder »

not sure about extended drums, but that would make your short studs even shorter anyway.

on my minor, when i fitted wide wheels, i bought new studs that are longer than the rear studs. fitted the long ones on the rear, and then fitted the rear ones on the front. rear studs are slightly longer than front studs as they have to go through the thickness of the half shaft flange.

that method only increases the front stud length by about 4mm, maybe less. so you could always get those longer studs for the front aswell.

the risk is that the long studs don't have thread all the way down, so you may not get the wheel nut done up tight before the nut bottoms out on the thread. for that reason, i can't put standard wheels back on my minor without using spacers to ensure the nuts can be fully tightened.

longer studs should be available from most minor suppliers.
Aidensfieldpostie

Post by Aidensfieldpostie »

Hi Chris, Thank you for answering that question for me, yes extended studs should do the job I just was not sure how easy they were to come by,we had a mini a few years ago & it had extended drums on it which i had never seen before,they were around one & a half times the size of the normal drums which really gave it that fat assed look i just wondered if anyone else had seen them anywhere,thanks again
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

i have had to fit 1/4 inch spacers on the front of mine for the 185 tyre to clear the top trunnion. that, of course, depends on the offset of the wheels you're running though.

you can still get spacer drums for mini's, but i'm not sure whether mini ones will fit a minor. more likely on the back that on the front. you'd have to make sure the drum was the same depth as a minor one too. very dodgy territory. i'd stick to spacers, and then only as little as possible or you could end up breaking studs.

you can get universal spacers, but they worry me! we made our own out of 1/4 inch plate and with the aid of a very accurate milling machine put holes exactly the right size at exactly the right pcd to keep the studs as well supported as possible!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The Mini rear drums are v heavy - and no hole for adjusting the brake. Just use Mini studs - available in various lengths from all the usual Mini suppliers.
ImageImage