marina woo's

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lukedauvergne
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

marina woo's

Post by lukedauvergne »

currently suffering with some issue wondering if anyone can shed some light on them for me.

number 1 my timing is really far out and if i put it to the right setting it doesn't run at all. what might cause this?

my main problem is that when im accelerating the car trys to cut out and i have to come off the accelerator for it to go back to idleing also as im slowing down to stop for a junction for example it trys to cut out i have to pull the choke to keep it going.

and again if i get over a sertain speed the car trys to cut out.
Jefftav
Minor Addict

Re: marina woo's

Post by Jefftav »

Have you set the distributor 180deg out and then when trying to correct the timing you are in fact retard/advancing the ignition timing too far one way. Or are the spark plug leads connected in the incorrect order (1,3,4,2)

If you are sure it is timing and not the spark plugs leads attached in the wrong order then go back to the start with ditributor out and set No1 cylinder on the compression stroke at the 5deg before TDC or what ever degrees your manual says and insert the dissy with the rotor arm point to No1 spark plug lead. The engine should start and idle so you can fine tune the timing from this point.

Good luck
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

If you suspect the timing try ignoring the marks, put number one on tdc both valves shut.
Wind it back a gnats cock a doodle diddley and set the points to just open there.
It should run well enough to let you tweak the dizzy by hand to get the best running.

I think you means woes rather than woos :)

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

Sounds rather like an air leak by the running symptoms! Check the breather pipe hasn't split or fallen off the carb, also the servo pipe(guessing this is a Marina)! Listen for loud whistling from around manifold area, and if in doubt squirt some WD40 or similar carefully around the inlet joints while it is running. If the engine note changes/picks up revs then you have a leaky joint.
lukedauvergne
Minor Fan

Post by lukedauvergne »

yes i do mean woes sorry haha. this is a minor fitted with marina engine and running gear. when i got the engine it was already fitted with dizzy and a timing mark on the dizzy color and block. engine doesn't idle lumpy a bit fast maybe doesn't like to run for too long without a fair bit of choke out.

the timing is currently about 90 degrees anti clockwise to where it should be if its on the correct mark it runs but will not drive without cutting out.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Re: marina woes

Post by MarkyB »

Although I agree that it doesn't sound much like a timing problem it does need to be established that the timing is at least in the ball park before trying to diagnose anything else, otherwise you end up fighting on two fronts.

There should be a notch in the bottom pulley which, when lined up with some pointers on the timing cover.
This is how you set the timing, the position of the distributor has to be set relative to these marks, not at any particular number of degrees form horizontal.

Lets say that as the engine runs the timing is in the ball park.

Needing choke to run properly says the mixture is too weak, either because it's been adjusted badly, or because air is getting into the system where it shouldn't.

lukedauvergne
Minor Fan

Post by lukedauvergne »

im aware of the procedure for getting the car timed up. what im saying is the timing i believe is supposed to be 11 degrees btdc which is at aprox 12 oclock were the notch in the crank pully is is at about 9 oclock hence me saing its about 90 degrees before where it should be. the mixture does need adjusting for certain but according to the book you need timing right before adjusting mixture and vis versa for timing so what do i do there just thought i would concentrate on the timing first. i bought a colour tune to set the mixture up but havn't got that far yet.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

There is no telling what the bottom pulley is off, several would fit.
That's why I suggest you ignore it, if you find TDC using a chop stick or similar while the rotor arm is pointing to No 1 plug lead you can get it close enough.
A look at any pointers on the timing cover will give you an idea how much movement on the pulley equals how many degrees.

Getting the marks lined up isn't the be all and end all of timing the engine, it just gives you a starting point.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The timing can't possibly be anything like 90- degrees out........ so, ignore all marks (as already suggested) - and just twiddle the dizzy until you get the best/smoothest idling. Make sure the vacuum advance is connected -and working correctly. Also - check the carb piston is free to rise and falls back with a nice clunk.
ImageImage