radically modified

Custom & Modified Register: for those with Modifed Minors and/or more radical Customised cars.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mgfw
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

radically modified

Post by mgfw »

This is my 1951 2 door short bonnet series MM the differences are it is front wheel drive, 1500cc diesel, 5 speed, independent suspension and servo assisted dual circuit brakes, disc front and drum rear, this is all my own work and design. This is one of my projects as an individual, I have a couple more including a diesel fwd van and a 1961 rwd 1800cc ford powered car, However there are certain aspects of the build I can't discuss until I receive clarification from the moderators of this site, I am happy however to discuss methods & parts used in order to help you with your project, I am simply trying to show my handywork and help you with yours, I'm not interested in negativity so if you dont like what I've done that's your opinion and I accept that, but this is my car, I own it and as the point has been raised in several threads, I have the right to do as I please with it, in fact this car would never have been restored so it is surely better to do this than to let it die. I look forward to your questions on the build.[frame]Image[/frame]
Last edited by mgfw on Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Innovator
Minor Fan

Re: radically modified

Post by Innovator »

Some more pics would be nice, especially build shots. Is it a "floor pan" or major parts into the Minor shell?

Always interested to see other builds.
mgfw
Minor Friendly

Post by mgfw »

Hi, does this answer your question?[frame]Image[/frame]
mgfw
Minor Friendly

Post by mgfw »

As you can see, the complete shell has been used except the floor, a new floor has been fabricated with rails in a similar style except this is a full rolling (self supporting) chassis, you can see the fitting for the lower suspension arms (A frames) these are new early renault clio units. The McPhearson struts I used fit into 3mm plate mounted at the top of the raised rails you can see.
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Seems a lot of effort for such a low powered conversion :D
You know you want a V8 in there :)
Good to see someone doing what they want though.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
mgfw
Minor Friendly

Post by mgfw »

It's more about being a practical car and the concept rather than a V8, that's been done many times, this is a completely original format. It cruises at 70mph and does about 50mpg, was sat along side a V8 at a show last year and mine grabbed all the attention.
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Check this out for a similar end result, but rwd:

http://morrisminorowners.co.uk/about1484.html

I'm all for being different - check out my current build here:

http://morrisminorowners.co.uk/about1082.html

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
mgfw
Minor Friendly

Post by mgfw »

I've seen the first one before, nice job, the current one is going to be quite quick I imagine, my idea was to go for the style isigonis wanted in the first place, he wanted the minor to be front wheel drive and if he'd been around now obviously it'd be modern practical engine and not the A series so this is where the idea came from, I think he'd be pleased by it, I've also built a van in the same style, like most modern vans this is diesel front wheel drive too.[frame]Image[/frame]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

They both look great. I've been after a simple diesel conversion for a while - these don't look 'simple'.... Do conversions like this require an SVA test before going on the road? And - how do you describe it to your insurance co??
ImageImage
mgfw
Minor Friendly

Post by mgfw »

I checked with the dvla and they looked at photographs, because the monocoque is effectively in tact and the modifications only improve the strength, other mods like brakes etc are safety improvements they were happy to make the document changes and they issued an age related plate after I'd put it through an mot and insured it. Adrian flux insurance love this sort of thing fully comp on agreed value of £25,000 £130. The dvla depends mostly on how you approach them and who you get, I had to attend the local office with paperwork and photos but they're not unreasonable as long as you are polite.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Crikey - on both counts.......I'm truly amazed.
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

mgfw wrote:This is my 1951 2 door series2 [frame]Image[/frame]
Actually it is a 1951 short bonnet Series MM
[sig]3580[/sig]
mgfw
Minor Friendly