Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ronnie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

distributor

Post by ronnie »

hi, can anyone give me some advice on my dizzy . When i turn the rotor right or left theres not a spring in it to return to its original position , does this sound right ? 1968 1000 cc
ronnie
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: distributor

Post by bmcecosse »

Noooooo. There will always be some slop - but when turned clockwise it should twist against springs - and return when you let go. The bob-weights may be seized - try squirting some thin/release oil in below the top plate - but may be time for a strip down.
ImageImage
ronnie
Minor Fan

Post by ronnie »

bmcecosse wrote:Noooooo. There will always be some slop - but when turned clockwise it should twist against springs - and return when you let go. The bob-weights may be seized - try squirting some thin/release oil in below the top plate - but may be time for a strip down.
thanks , i thought it might be some wear on the dog drive to the camshaft ?? never thought of a simple bit of lubrication
ronnie :P
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The drive dog pins do wear which adds to the slop, the drive dog is replaceable by tapping out the taper pin
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

When running, any wear slop is pretty much taken up - but the mechanical advance mech is worked with moving bob-weights restrained by small springs - if they can't move = no mechanical advance = poor performance.
Last edited by bmcecosse on Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
ronnie
Minor Fan

Post by ronnie »

bmcecosse wrote:When running, and wear slop is pretty much taken up - but the mechanical advance mech is worked with moving bob-weights restrained by small springs - if they can't move = no mechanical advance = poor performance.
hi , when i suck on the advance pipe to the dizzy it seems to rotate fine , would this rule out any stiffness or might it still be a bit stuck because my performance is poor on sharp push of the pedal but fine when pressed slowly
ronnie :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That proves that the vacuum advance is working ok - but the mechanical advance may be seized if the rotor arm doesn't twist and spring back.
ImageImage
ronnie
Minor Fan

Post by ronnie »

bmcecosse wrote:That proves that the vacuum advance is working ok - but the mechanical advance may be seized if the rotor arm doesn't twist and spring back.
that sounds about right cheers , ive been away from the trade for over 30yrs but it slowly comes back to you
thanks ronnie :D
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

There are two different tension springs on the bob weights, when you twist the rotor arm you should feel the movement in the low tension spring and then the stiffness as the high tension spring takes over.
[sig]3580[/sig]
ronnie
Minor Fan

Post by ronnie »

mike.perry wrote:There are two different tension springs on the bob weights, when you twist the rotor arm you should feel the movement in the low tension spring and then the stiffness as the high tension spring takes over.
cheers mike
im goin to strip it down and give it a good clean an lub :)