Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
neil4030
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

STUPID QUESTION ABOUT AXLE STANDS

Post by neil4030 »

Hello everyone,

I have never been 100% certain where to position the axle stands when jacking up the front of my Minor. Up to now, I have positioned them directly under one or other of the chassis rails and left the hydraulic jack in place (I do not have wooden blocks etc) but this seems not ideal and possibly fatal. I now need to jack the front end of the car up so both front wheels are off the ground so wonder if there is a better (and probably blindingly obvious) point to place the axle stands directly under; taking the hydraulic jack out of the job altogether.
Dean
Minor Legend

Re: STUPID QUESTION ABOUT AXLE STANDS

Post by Dean »

Your chassis rails/legs will be ok provided you are confident the steel is strong. For years my car was on axles stands, positioned on the rear axle and under the two front chassis legs, in line or just forward of the front wheels. I wouldn't go behind the front wheels due to the engine weight/balance point. But if when resting the weight you hear crunching, then stop straight away and lift the car back off.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Put the axle stands under the lower suspension arms
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As above - under the arms is ideal with stands - unless you are working on the suspension of course! You NEED to get some good sturdy wood blocks (4 X 2 timber lengths are ideal) to spread the load if you want to use them under the chassis legs.
ImageImage
neil4030
Minor Friendly

Post by neil4030 »

Thanks all very helpful,

Just to be totally safe, are the 'lower suspension arms' the ones that are about a foot long effectively joining the trunion at the rear of the back plate to the chassis leg; when looking under the car from the front?
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

I use a block of wood or rubber on the axle stand and position the stand under the chassis leg where the eyebolt bolts to the leg as this is the strongest point of the leg. Wood/ rubber to stop the stand damaging the paint.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

Lots of good answers ,and for added safety i always put two more further back,plus the tyres if off the car, :oops: in case the car moves,as I can't rely on my beer belly keeping me safe :roll:
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

never go under a car that is only standing on axle stands - they are miniature tripods and not much better than a jack when it comes to toppling over.

Using a jack or axle stand etc... if you've got a wheel off and intend to go anywhere near the car then make sure it has something to land on (other than you) if/when it moves. They will move - it's just a matter of luck.

A spare wheel plus the wheel you removed on top makes a nice solid object to put under a sill. If you're jacking up higher then you could fit 3 under ;-)
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I've yet to see an axle stand fail, three legs will give a firm footing even on an uneven surface (it does need to be a firm surface though).
A lot better than a jack, not a poor substitute.
Once you have the car off the ground and supported give it a good firm shove, if it moves, find out why and sort it.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

But Ray's advice is good - because although the axle stand itself will be steady enough, the car can still slide off the top - which is why sturdy timber packing is strongly advised between axle stand and chassis leg. And yes - I like to have either a good solid pile of timber and/or a pile of spare wheels under the car 'just in case'....
ImageImage
oddbod
Minor Fan

Post by oddbod »

I have a tip,it might seem obvious but,CHOCK the wheels still on the floor BEFORE Jacking. No not me, but I had to help lit a car off someone when it slipped. No serious injuries,I know it might be obvious but still better to remember to ALWAYS chock.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

And to state the bleeding obvious:- Never work on sloping ground
[sig]3580[/sig]
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Another tip - clean any oil or grease off the chassis where you are putting the axle stands, you don't want the car sliding forwards or back!

M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

A good axle stand will have a cradle that the chassis rail sits in. Anything between and it can all slide off. Handbrake on or chocks as necessary to avoid rolling when you shift the weight of the car when lifting it. Always wheels underneath so if the car does fall (and you can get out still) you have some room to get a jack under to lift it all back up again. :roll:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Unfortunately the 'cradle' is usually too narrow to hold the chassis rail securely. Works well under the back axle tubes - and under the front suspension lower arms.....
ImageImage
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I have my doubts about chocking the wheels before you start jacking the car up.
Fine if you are jacking up one side but jacking the front or rear I'd chock the wheels after the car is up as the angle my trolley jack lifts the car means that either the jack, or the car, wants to roll an inch or two.
Typically the car moves easier than the jack, as the floor in my garage isn't very smooth.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes ^^^^^^ that is a problem - and if the wheels are scotched (or just held with the handbrake) the chassis shuffles on the jack/axle stand pad.
ImageImage
neil4030
Minor Friendly

Post by neil4030 »

Thanks chaps job done with no damage to me or far more importantly, the car....
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Post by M25VAN »

MarkyB wrote:I have my doubts about chocking the wheels before you start jacking the car up.
Yes I meant to chock after you have lifted, sorry if that wasn't clear. If you jack up the back then the weight is thrown forward with not much to stop it from moving otherwise.
alainmoran
Minor Addict

Post by alainmoran »

Personally I like to give the car a good shove from a few angles once it's up on stands ... if it doesn't move (at all) then I'm happy to get under it ... if it wobbles I start adjusting things until it doesn't.

Spare wheels & removed wheels thrown under the sills are an essential belt & braces too, but nothing (except a rollover rig) beats solidly placed axle stands.